Win Xp Pro Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi thousandviolins nice to meet you. I had similar problems this was hardware issue. I suggest to run few memory, hard disk and general test to check do hardware is ok.

i understand thousandviolins was just trying to show you some more reasons ...

Have you checked the video card. I would have never thought to check that.

Would that still be a video card issue if the system won't recognize any of my drives? After it freezes and/or gives me the BSOD, I boot it back up and none of my drives will register--it takes about 20-30 minutes before everything will register again. Man, I need to get a hold of a floppy drive to see if it is the BIOS thing....

Please... I need to try to better understand i think we are going in cirlces.

can we take a step back for a moment. you said you bought a new system.
but you only listed a monther board, a processor and memory. but you did not list anything else.

So to me, i am to assume that you are uing your exisitng, box, CD-rom, and Hard drive, and now broken floppy. Right?

then you mentioned that you bought a new hard drive, a 40 gig to replace the 20 gig.

Now you say the 40 gig cannot be seen but you can see the 20 gig but you can't read the files.

OK...
questions please answer these

Have you ever replaced a mother board on a computer before?

How are you trying to read the files? what is the file system in which the 20 gig is formated? (Fat32, NTFS)?

where is it that you say you cannot see the 40 gig, but can see the 20 gig?

with the 20 gig hard drive in the computer as the master and you boot up, what happens?
what happens with the 40 gig. as the master?

Was the 20 gig drive was your master dive when you had a different Motherboard in this box?

Alright--sorry. I thought that I was being clear but I get to the point where I some times confuse myself :).

OK, in my original system, I had a 20GB(formatted Fat32) hard drive as my main drive.

I then upgraded the motherboard, processor, and RAM (which I have done before--I built the original system). I took my old hard drive, CD-ROM drive, and floppy drive from my old system and installed them in the new one.

When I first booted up the computer and configured the BIOS, my CD-ROM, hard drive, and floppy all registered. However, when I tried to continue on (i.e. load Windows XP Pro), I got the message that my drive could not be read. I eventually discovered that some where along the line, my hard drive became not accessable (who knows how that happened). Therefore, I went and got a new hard drive, the 40GB (formatted NTFS). I then ran into the problem of installing Windows (it would stop at various places during the installation and give me a BSOD). I was then given the advice of replacing the RAM, even though I was already using new RAM. I put in a new stick of RAM, which appeared to work. I was able to instalk and load Windows XP successfully. However, the problem that I am running into now is after a period of time (the time period varies), the comptuer will either freeze, shut down randomly, or give me a BSOD. Then when I try to restart the computer, it will not register any of my drives (CD-ROM, hard drive, or floppy). However, if I leave the computer off for about 20-30 minutes, I can boot the computer up and every thing is just fine (system is recognizing everything). Then the cycle starts over again--I can use the machine until the next malfunction.

I hope this clears things up. This has been adventure with this computer and I think half the time I forget what I have already done.

Hmmm... newer more powerful mother board, larger (presumabley faster) HDD. Check you're power supply. Thats what I'd bet on. Random lockup, reboots, all that good crap. May just need a better power supply.

also, but it isn't it because you would never of been able to boot, but anyone remember the virus 'newyork *****'? Was nasty. Flashed the bios and disabled, well... almost EVERYTHING. Sucked.

you better check if the processor its set rigth
i had a problem like that and what it was is dirt betwen processor and fan i did some cleanning and set the paste back and know im fine
even just the touch of your finger will leave a film of dead skin and harm the procces or heatup your computer
if your 40 gb hard drive is maxtor i can tell you that doing a parttition 50% 50% makes it run better

is it maxtor 40gb?

But would a power supply issue cause the drives to not register in the BIOS like it does after a freeze/random shut down/BSOD?

Also, I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the BSOD that I have been getting recently is KERNAL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR and it tells me that a "physical memory dump has begun" or something along those lines.

The 40 GB hard drive is a Seagate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom