laptop purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

talldude123

Banned
OK, my parents just bought 2 laptops, one for business, and one for personal use. I would like to know how they are, and if they will last for awhile without spending another $1000 for a new laptop.

Business Notebook:
Toshiba M70 Intel Celeron M 1.6 Ghz
15.4" Widescreen
512MB DDR2 533Mhz RAM
60GB HD
8X Super Multi DVD burner
128MB ATI Radeon Xpress 200M Integrated
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834114221

Personal Notebook:
HP Pavilion ML37 AMD Turion 64 2.0 Ghz
17" Widescreen
1GB DDR2 533Mhz RAM (Upgraded)
2X 80GB HD
8X LightScribe DVD burner
128MB ATI Radeon Xpress 200M Integrated
6-in-1 Card Reader
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10073561&catid=

So...did i recommend good laptops, or should i have recommended Acer?

BTW - I dont like Acer, only because my uncle bought one, and it's painfully slow. Even worse than mine.

Toshiba, to my knowledge, makes good laptops. And since youre not using them for graphic intense operations theres no reason why they shouldnt last for a very long time. From experience, when it comes to laptops and longevity, the most important thing is quality. You have a couple solid names there, so Id feel good. I had a crap KDS laptop with a fan that always failed; I doubt you'll have those kinds of problems.

Thanks for the information.

Yes, my parents use the home one for Photoshop, and the business one for QuickBooks.

The only reason the business one isn't used is because it was on sale when we got it.

Is ACER a "Cheap" brand?

HP makes decent dependable laptops. Toshiba, eh, i heard their satellite series was defective or anything but they fixed it.

I would not consider Acer a "cheap" brand, though they manufactuer it ok but they manufactuer it without common sense. Like all the parts are well and everything they just dont use common sense as putting the exahust of the fan to the right where all the right handed mouse users. Formatting the hdd in FAT32. Putting random crap programs, etc. :) But in all you made two very good choices

talldude123 said:
Thanks for the information.

Yes, my parents use the home one for Photoshop, and the business one for QuickBooks.

The only reason the business one isn't used is because it was on sale when we got it.

Is ACER a "Cheap" brand?

Acer makes both high end and cheap notebooks. I do recomend them.

And computers are not usually slow talldude, must be because the hardware extremely sucks or it's loaded with ****.

EDIT: That HP is like, bigger than me. It's HUGE.

Yep, the 17" Widescreen is amazing.

Its a bummer, my Dad won't let me use it until i get a bachelors degree in computer science :(

But, i do get to use the Toshiba (actually i'm using it now)

You should have bought Dell. Dell offers you more for your money. Recently, they were offering sweet deals for their 22nd anniversary.

Yes, but i would have payed lots for shipping, i'm on an island.

I prefer buying retail, you get warranties, better advice, etc.

HPs make good laptops, but just recently, they started to focus on more light-weight laptops. Before, they used to produce HUGE laptops :(

I know from experience, I'm using one of the HUGE laptops (HP) :p

Good choice with the Toshiba, they make excellent laptops. I was actually going to get a Tosh, before this HP (got ~$400 in rebates, so I was happy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom