New p4 cpu and intel mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebz

Beta member
I installed everything correctly with my new hardware, but was unsure i had put the cpu in correctly as i had not done this before. When i attempted to remove the cpu again i had some trouble getting the lock off, and had to jiggle a bit. I believe this caused some of the pins on my cpu to become bent.

I used a small tool to straighten the pins back out, and when i re-seated the cpu it slid in easily in the slot. I reconnected everything etc, and when i turn on the PC i can see it checks all the CD ROMS and the harddrive. The cpu fan and power supply fan is working. How can i tell if i broke the CPU? i get no output to my monitor.

Basically my question is, how voulnerable is the cpu? How hard do i have to press it into place etc? Please help, I'm afraid i just wasted 250 bucks!! :mad:

cpu: intel P4 3.0GHz, Boxed, PC800 socket pga478, 512 kb
Mobo: intel d865PERL P4, socket 478, ATX, APG8x, FSB800
256MB DDR SDRAM 400
old hardrive, dunno specs.
350W power supply

Basically computer components is not so gentle and i don't believe that you broke yor CPU. I recommend you that you take your CPU and try it on other system with similir specs like your and you will know if broke it. Anyway Intel is giving a life time warranty on her processors, think about it.

If the cpu isn't busted, what else could be the error? i know the video card and the hard drive works in my other cabinet and mobo.

I've looked over it again and I'm sure i put the RAM in DIMM 0 channel A. I've been told i MUST have a 512MB DDR 400 SDRAM kit (2x 256 chips) to make this work by a friend, but my vendor told me that wasn't neccesary. Can anyone confirm this? Been readin on intel's homepage as well and it didn't really clearly say weather or not this was neccesary.

Did you order the mobo or purchase it from some computer shop?

If you ordered it, getting a refund will be hard.

If you didn't, take it back, get a refund, try it again, and if that doesnt work then you aren't doing something correctly....

As for the RAM thing, I dont believe that you have to have that 512MB DDR 400 SDRAM Kit, but then again I'm not positive, so you may have to check on that also.

Good luck getting your PC to work correctly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom