Real Quick Question on RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 More question...

I noticed that DDR2 RAM has very high timings like 4-4-4-12 and 5-5-5-15... but DDR 400 RAM has timings liek 2-3-2-6

Why such a big difference?

Also, if I'm going to buy a Conroe CPU, what should the CAS Latencies be on DDR2 RAM?

i think ddr2 uses higher timings because it runs at higher frequencies but i am not sure. ddr2 is still kinda new but you will get modules that have better timings by purchasing the low latency modules. check crucial, ocz, corsiar. i dont reccommend kingston because they tend to use more chips on their dimms which means you will most likely not be able to tweak anymore juice out of it. i think kingston uses a set of low class chips so i would never reccommend them.

also instead of spending all that cash on a conroe you could get better performance from a socket AM2 Athlon X2 which uses ddr2.

also a good cpu and ram is nothing without a good board so buy from ASUS or DFI and make sure it has dual channel support.

cdkiller said:
also instead of spending all that cash on a conroe you could get better performance from a socket AM2 Athlon X2 which uses ddr2.

Not entirely true.........I like the AMD CPUs, but by the looks of pre-release benchmarks, the Conroe is going to beat any socket AM2 CPU. And they look to be pretty cheap as well. The problem is the motherboards at the moment are expensive, but that's sure to change once they are released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom