Blue Ray Technology for PC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

WWS

In Runtime
What do you all think about this new technology that will take the place of CD/DVD's. Do developers like NEC and Plextor have any plans to release this technology any time soon?

i'm looking forward to it.. it'll be like a hard drive on a disc.. finally games that will stay one disc.. while still being able to have all those extra dvd features!

Alright, Pardon my ignorance now but can anyone give a link referring to what is this Blue Ray Technology? I realize I could google it but im too lazy right now XD

Yoad said:
Alright, Pardon my ignorance now but can anyone give a link referring to what is this Blue Ray Technology? I realize I could google it but im too lazy right now XD

A new type of disk drive for cd's with higher amounts of storage.

oh sounds nice, will it be re-writeable disks or you will have two editions like nowdays CD / DVD's [re-write able and none re-write able]

Also, how much storage are we talking about? We can get up to 9GB With a DVD nowdays, what do you need more than that??

Thats alot of room for the average user. Sure it will be good for games but now well need them 1TB HD's that everyones so proud of. Will the burners be like the original cd burners were? ( $300 for a 4x cd-burner in mid to late 90's) If so then theyll prolly be like $600-700 for a while, thats a bumer.

Holy.... wow!! I could burn a **** lot of animes on one CD.... but I hardly believe I could just swap my brand new dvd burner to a 'blue ray' burner when it comes out =\ I just bought this one quite recently.

I dont think the average joe is just going to swap out a DVD drive for a blue ray drive as they will probably be over $500 each. The blue ray readers for your home entertainment system will run you about a grand or more.

That's what everyone said about DVD players at first too, but like everything, they go into mass production and will become common and less expensive.

I do agree that an average person won't need one for the computer, although when DVD's can no longer hold all the data that studios want them to hold, I'd expect DVD to be dropped and Blue Ray to become the new standard. Of course that'll take at least 5 years.

And then there is HD DVD ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom