My Specs:

Athlon XP 2400+ 2.0 ghz
512mb DDR 400 SDRAM
20gb HDD
Nvidia Geforce 6600 256mb
Albatron KX600 Pro Motherboard
300w Power Supply
Windows XP Home

I purchased this PC in 2003 and upgraded from a Geforce 4 MX440 with 64mb to a 6600 in late 2005. I understand that this is not a performance PC by any means. But i am getting terrible frame-rates out of games that i should be able to run smoothly. Games such as C&C Generals or Knights of the old republic, these games are fairly old now and my PC should have no problem with them, but unfortuantely still does.

I've tried every driver i can find for everything, can somebody please tell me what i'm doing wrong.

Alright, some thouhgts of what could be the reason:

A. You have a virus, spyware, maleware, or something else stealing you'r CPU / RAM bandtwith

B. You'r HDD Is full, no room for virtual memory - the computer will be overloaded by the lightest programs.

C. Most unlikly, its overloaded with dust, no heat is dissipating, and the contact between components within you'r pc to each other is being interferd by dust.

D. Last resort, You'r Power supply is lacking power or just dying, Which brand is it and how old is it? [300w Power Supply, my guess some brandless PSU, low quality one], the 6600 gt requires, I THINK, at least 400watt one.. or a high Amper one [on the +12v rail]

About the PSU, give me info about it, and how much amper does it supply on the +12v rail.

These are the few idea's I have in mind that could cause a serious loss of performence.

some steps you could follow to fix it:

Following A [and probably same for B..], First reformat computer, if it fixes you'r problem then you found out whats the source of you'r troubles.

If reformatting didn't work, following C Then, it maybe is dust that is interfering to you'r computer to work normally, its UNLIKLEY but POSSIBLE... sometimes dust does that, just clean it gentely, I also suggest in this time to clean up you'r CPU Heatsink, fan, and replace thermal grease or thermal pad [whichever you use.. its always good to replace those once a year or so, could also be a reason if it doesn't do its job well you'r CPU will overheat easly]

Now if all of these regular solutions didn't work, the last resort is that MAYBE you'r PSU[power supply] is either not working as well anymore, or just too weak in general to run you'r computer [300 watt, guessing that the amper in it are as low, is not a very good PSU for a newer computer than a pentium 3 and a geforce 400MX or so, lol..]

Well, give me details of you'r PSU and try following the steps accordingly before replacing any hardware, I hope this helps somewhat..

-Jo / Yoad B.Y.

thanks for the reply, i have wondered about the PSU, it isnt branded. I think you might be right there. I keep my Hard Disk fairly clear at least 60% most of the time, but it might be worth upgrading my hard disk (which would mean a bigger power supply). I don't know about spyware, i scan fairly regulary and have norton on all the time, but it is possible.

do you have any temperature readings? it sounds like overheating to me... use speedfan for CPU, and Rivatuner for GPU.

ok i've got a CPU temprature, its reading at 52.5 degrees. Be back with more info later. By the way, i read you're from Cornwall, used to love that place when i lived in the UK.

wow... even if its not idle i think its a lot for an amd, I have a feeling this guy talks in F's degrees, or that he is reading the HDD Temp...

the computer is probably overheating. My system feels pretty hot, and it's only running at 34 degreees celcius, 40 degrees while working.

I recommend dusting out the PC, it will make everything run like new.

^I already said that its a possibility lol, and I also suggested to dust it out =x

Just pointing out x_X

He's running an Athlon XP. 52C is not overheating, since the max temp for XPs are 95C, according to AMD's website. My 2800+ overclocked, idles at 50C, goes maxes out in Prime95 at 63C. Heat is not his problem, I think its spyware, or even Norton. It's well known that Norton hogs resources. Could be the PSU. I had a 6600 vanilla, and it required a minumum of 400W, but 450W worked better, since the Athlons have a pretty high power consumption (something like 110W).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom