WQXGA and 7800 GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowpunk

In Runtime
The native resolution of a 30" monitor I want is 2560x1600 (WQXGA). I'm seeing that the new gen of nVidia supports this, even the 7600's. However, my BFG 7800 GTX OC sports a max res of 2048x1536. What will happen if I plug my 7800 into it? Will it step up to the WQXGA or am I going to be upset that a newer card at half the price can support the monitor but mine can't?

Well, First off, usually the card will only display the resolutions that it CAN display to the monitor it is connected to, if that is where you got your number from (not like the manual or something)

Also, the TV should just clock down to the res you output if you can't go higher, not to mention you will lag like a ***** on games with that resolution and only one GTX, but it always depends on the TV on if it still looks good or not :-\ -- check what the reviewers have to say, im sure there is something.

The graphics card knows the resolution of the screen and will only show what it is capable of as said above.

Also remember that only DVI is capable of that resolution. VGA maxes a 2048.

yes, but you could never game at that resolution on current hardware...

It is a Dell Monitor and for that specific one (30") they say it has to be a card that supports 2560x1600 and the 7800 GTX does not support that. The 7900 and 7600 do but for some reason not the 7800 GTX. If gaming would suck on that then I'm not going to get it. Without using SLI what is the max size I can go on a monitor with decent gaming? 20.1" Widescreen? 24" Widescreen? Or do I just need to stay with my 19"?

well you could game on it, just with a lower widescreen resolution. cards struggle with 1600x1200, let alone 2560x1600.

but as i said, it would be fine on a lower resolution, the only thing is, the larger the panel, the worse it displays low resolutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom