Problems with Windows needing to be RE-activated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Has any one here been having problem with Windows Xp Home or Pro needed to get re-activated?

In the last month, i have 2 clients with the following problem
- Fresh installs of Windows Xp
- Windows SP2
- Windows being activated*
- all 47 Updates installed on them
- AntiVirus installed

* one client was using a DELL which was supply with a manufactuer's CD with a Pre-Activated version of Windows Xp Home. And this is very normal for a lot of notebooks too.

Come 3 week later, On boot up Windows is asking for activation again.
However when you press on the Activate Windows Button, Windows is telling me that Windows has all ready been Activated.
It will continue doing this every time you boot the computer up.
And then finally it will lock the user out thinking that Windows As Not Been Activated.

Mind you, 1 hour talking with Microsoft later, I can then unactivate and then reactive windows again. Now this fixes my problem, however this is really annoying me that I have do this.

Microsoft is currently blaming "changes to the hardware or software" in the last 30 days.
They are also telling me that I should be installing AntiVirus and other Software in Safe Mode. This is some thing that I don't believe at all.

But in the case of the DELL computer, it sat in my office for month doing nothing as my client was away on business.

I am currently not happy with microsoft as this is some thing that I really can not bill clients for as it was me that install the OS.

BTW, the Anti Virus and Operating System are legit.

I am just wondering if any one else has been having this problem :question:

Harper :- I just spent an hour on the phone with you guys to get this computer unactived and reactivated. Should I be billing Microsoft for my time on this matter?
Microsoft Lvl 2 Tech :- I really can not comment on that issue.

Harper said:
Has any one here been having problem with Windows Xp Home or Pro needed to get re-activated?

Yes. I had to call up Microsoft for my Windows XP Home, and as well as 2 other friends (retail disks). Is Microsoft really afraid of losing money? THEY'RE F'ING RICH!

HOW TO UNACTIVATE WINDOWS

BTW, in order to unactivate your copy of windows, you need to do the following :-

Run Regedit* (You may need to enter windows via safe mode)
Go to
HEKY_LOCAL-MACHINES --> SOFTWARE --> Microsoft --> Windows Nt --> CurrentVersion --> WpaEvents --> OOBETimer
Open OOBETimer
You should have some thing looking like this
0000 xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xxxxxxxxxx
0008 xx xx xx xx xxxxx
Please note that the above x's are normally some other Number or Letter.

Edit the registry entry to that it looks like this

Exit the registry editor and restart the computer.
Now you computer is unactivated. Now to you need to activate windows again with Microsoft.
Do not waste your time with internet activation as it will not work. You will need to do this via the phone.
You may need to re key in your OEM number at some stage. So have that ready.

Doing the above will save you about 45 minutes of bullsh!t explaining to microsoft in order to get you do a level 2 technical support person.
It just means you need to spend about 15 minutes explaining what has happened to the product activation person instead.

Warez Monster said:
do you all use the same vlk on all machines?
No. Different liencing keys there. And they were all legit. And they have passed pervious genuine advantage checks.

do you think it would be better if you did to slim down the possible problem you are having?

I never use the keys from the manu, its much easier to use my vlk. I know thats not an answer to your ? but thats what I would do. I havent ran into that problem yet, just the windows genuine error

Warez Monster said:
do you think it would be better if you did to slim down the possible problem you are having?

I never use the keys from the manu, its much easier to use my vlk. I know thats not an answer to your ? but thats what I would do. I havent ran into that problem yet, just the windows genuine error

Sadly I don't have this option. I am selling / using Windows XP (legit version) to clients, and they all have different keys.

Warez Monster said:
have you tried chaning the key using rockxp?
Changing the CD Key is really not the issue as my customer has purchased a legit copy of Windows with legit CD key (either from myself or from [insert computer manufacturer* here].

The problem that I am having is that there is some thing is the recent updates that are forcing my people to reactive. However the version of Windows Xp that is installed on the pc still thinks that it's activated.

BTW, the DELL required me to install SP2 as it did not have any service packs. The other client I had purchased a copy Windows XP Pro with SP2 in a retail box.
So it not just one version of the Windows Xp on CD where I am having this problem.

In a perfect world, this problem with reactivation should not be happening in the first place.

* Who is operating ethically and occording the the microsoft EULA. (Waves hand at PC Club Australia )

I've had this issue with dell machines in the past 6 months or so that was installed with reg xp cd instead of the dell xp cd. use the dell xp cd as it doesn't require activation (it doesn't even require a serial). i had to resort back to using it, even though I prefered the regular xp cd

most dell computera has a xp serial on the side of them, but if you check that isn't the serial install on the computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom