building a gaming pc, $2000 USD

Status
Not open for further replies.
hiya, if you can't wait for a new computer heres a quick suggestion, otherwise you can wait a few months for better hardware

AMD 64 3800+ X2

Asus SLI

2 GB G-Skill Ram

EVGA 7900 GT KO

WD 200gb Hard disk

BenQ DVD burner with lightscribe

Saitek Eclipse Keyboard (also available in red if u prefer)

Logitech MX-518 Mouse

Logitech z-5500 Speakers

X-Fi soundcard

Enermax 500 W PSU

Viewsonic 20.1" Monitor

i didnt' include a case because its your personal preference, the total price is about $1,850 before shipping and tax which leaves about 60 or so for the case, if u want save some money, you could drop the sound card and the z5500s for the z5300 (saving about 150-200ish) and that leaves some extra money you can spend with your g/f :) . Good luck with your build!!!

holy crap, those speakers are outrageous, if you are not into listening to really loud music or just want to listen to games id drop by some store in town and buy a pair of speakers lol

as i said its only a suggestion =), 939 is still pretty efficient, but your right am2 is the way to go, but the motherboards are still new so i just picked the more reliable solution

Must I say...AM2 Is the way to go to the trash in around 2 months :)..

If you utterly can't wait 2 months what so ever get some really good chip of s939, OR [heres the other deal] if you want to buy a intel-conroe compitable system so you could buy a conrone when it comes out, just buy a really good rig with a mobo that has the 975 chipset [I think there's some that are out already, correct me if not] and get a cheap CPU for now...

I wouldnt be thinking bout any part too much right now, if your going to wait till the AM2 line's bugs are worked out then I wouldn't be looking for any parts, Or build a temp system. AM2's will be moved to a diffrent socket I belive 940 anyways the way newegg is everything that you bookmark will be removed and replaced by something better. Moor's law I belive- every 6 months technology will double itself. ( thats not always accurate but good enouph)
If you think those speakers are too much then ull hate mine, put together 2 400W subs and 4 100 watt (tweeters) satilites. I love car sterio equipment.

Wow. That's some comprehensive research right there. Thanks, RepuLse. For some reason, my Old Dell Dimension 4600 refuses to open www.newegg.com (maybe some virus or something), but I'll try it sometime later. EDIT: I opened it! :D

Since the new processors are just coming and are very expensive, maybe I should focus on the more or less unchanging stuff, like monitors, sound cards, speakers, and such. That Viewsonic monitor looks great, and it seems to have good ratings.

Those speakers are top of the line stuff....dunno if my pockets can bear the emptiness.... ;)

The DVD and CD burner/reader is nice. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray can go.... to Timbuktu :p for all I care. I do not need an easily-scratchable hard drive disc that's supposed to be "portable." At least VHSes didn't break so easily :( .

That mouse is exactly what I had in mind. Perfect choice! :D

The mobo isn't the Deluxe or Premium variant, but that's I don't need that. Sadly, I'll probably need something else (and probably more expensive) for Core 2 Duo or AM2.

I was looking at that sound card, too, and their seems to be a snap-crackle-pop issue.....hmmmm.

Keyboard....seems good, and I agree with a blue rather than red backlight (red backlight=epilepsy to the fifth power), but some people are having problems with the keys' paint wearing off. I'll have to investigate.

PSU: great.

Video card: I'll probably wait for the Nvidia 8 series.

HDD: Nice. Cheap. All I'll need.

RAM: 2 gigs is fine.

Thanks for your wisdom, RepuLse. I'll have to scour Newegg more often (when my computer lets me :confused: )

Gerry_W :p

What about the z5450 speakers? Are they supposed to be better or what?

EDIT: Nevermind. They're just wireless. A waste.

AM2 is going to be outdated in a year or so, the 939 builds still kick butt, I actually just had one made with an X2 4200.. there are still upgrades available and they have already been tested and proven performers. Conroe will be nice I am sure but I think buying into the new stuff ASAP is not a wise decision because of the chance that the components may not be as reliable as one would hope. Old faithful is the best way to go in my mind. Especially for a budget of $2000, you can really make a nice build with some parts that are only a year old. All the new stuff is more expensive off the bat and still hasnt been through the regular consumer testing. Live in the now and have a good time.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom