Come on AMD! bye bye Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is more news for big servers, where a large performance is gained with multiple cores because of frantic threading.

zdude255 said:
This is more news for big servers, where a large performance is gained with multiple cores because of frantic threading.

Like gaara said, they already have this. They don't have it for meanstream/enthusiast computers because it really isn't worth the money for the performance.

Originally posted by Tyler1989 Furthermore these will be expensive I'm guessing I love the fact that a $300 Core 2 Duo can kick a $600-700 AMD's a$$.

No, a $300 Core 2 Duo beats out AMD's $1000+ FX-62. Even if AMD can get the performance lead with this thing, it'll be one of the worst price/performance ratios ever out. And there's no way Intel would let this slide without TRYING to do something. If they did the same kind of thing, it'd be amazingly cheaper.

2x Core 2 Duos: $600
2x FX-62s: $2,000+
Price/Performance king: Intel
Making fun of this dumb idea: ...Priceless

gaara said:
You all seem to be forgetting that socket940 has existed for several years now with the potential for running up to eight simultaneously operating opteron 8** cores

Furthermore, any opteron 865 or higher is capable of running in an octa-socket environment which would account for 16 cores...this concept is nothing new and nothing short of expensive
But this will be marketed to the gaming/enthusiast market though, not the server marker. That is what makes this different.

AMD announced today during a conference call that a new platform will be created and focused on just for the enthusiast desktop market.

which is designed to take non-ECC unbuffered DDR memory

except for the fact that you're already paying double for two processors of the same make...

And unless AMD comes out with some amazing technology, you won't be able to switch up the processors. So a X2 3800+ wouldn't be able to run along side a FX-62.

This whole thing is pointless in my mind. I can kind of see a use for it, but not in this area of the industry.

it's a lazy lazy lazy marketing gimmick, and I'm ashamed that they sunk to such a level....I truly despise nvidia for reintroducing such a terrible concept as it put a rather large nail in the microprocessor development coffin

Just face the facts that AM2 was not meant to be anything special, it was a socket change no different than the transition about a year and a half ago from socket 754 to socket 939...it's simply a platform change to allow an existing processor concept to become slightly more flexible with support (ie multicore support). If AM2 was meant to be anything special it would be called K9 RevA, not K8 RevG cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom