game controller works w/ 1 15ft usb extension, but not 2 15ft cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

camosilver311

In Runtime
i'm running xp w/ service pack 2, and have a Gravis GamePad Pro usb controller.

the controller works fine when plugged directly into a usb port. it also works fine when the controller is plugged into a 15 foot extension(i am estimating the length).

but, it doesnt not work when plugged into 2 15 foot extension cables, i get a error message saying "usb device not recognized. one of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it"

both of the extension cables are usb 2.0 compatible, i purchased them for the same place at the same time.

all of the connections are good, that was the first thing i checked.

and so you dont have to ask, i am running the extensions because i want to play some of my NES an SEGA roms that are on my computer in another room

i would appriciate any help

thank

I beleive thats to long. In practice, the USB specification limits the length of a cable between full speed devices to 5 meters (a little under 16 feet 5 inches). For a low speed device the limit is 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches).

"how" are they hooked together? they are plugged into each other, lol. i dont know how else they can be hooked up.

well i have an infrared sensor for a remote control that i have hooked up to the same 2 usb extensions, and it works fine. so i guess that would make sense

do they make some kind of inline amplifier for usb that i can buy?

cooldrives_1901_32850087

you using one of these or a hub?

is there anything i can buy to make it work? for example, coaxial cable has inline amplifiers to boost signal, does such a product exist for usb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom