Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean I can usually just install xp and my sound and video and network card etc all work already

yea but as vista hasnt even been released they might not work. btw mikee theres no point u gettin vista until u upgrade ur rig. it just wont run on wat u got. vista uses about 600mb not doin anything so u would hav about 150mb free ram. also ur gfx card wont be able to even hav the glass effect on. wait till u get an upgrade b4 u get vista

Vista plays hide-and-seek with hackers

Windows Vista Beta 2, released last week, includes a new security feature designed to protect against buffer overrun exploits. Called Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR), the feature loads key system files in different memory locations each time the PC starts, making it harder for malicious code to run, according to Microsoft. This is enabled by default.

Together with other enhancements in Vista, ASLR raises the bar in terms of security in the forthcoming operating system, Microsoft says. The company has described Vista, slated to be broadly available in January, as the most secure version of Windows to date.

http://news.com.com/2100-7355_3-6079101.html?part=rss&tag=6079101&subj=news

WDDM Overhaul On The Way

Microsoft is to overhaul Windows' graphics driver model after realizing that the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 1.0 which will ship with Vista needs improvement in the way it shares GPU resources between programs and Windows itself.

Steve Pronovost of Microsoft's DirectX team disclosed at WinHEC in Seattle last week that although the WDDM 1.0 introduces some rudimentary task scheduling for GPUs, a new generation of GPU hardware and a major architectural change to the way Windows deals with video cards will be required.

He said that the trouble with WDDM 1.0 is that once one program is using the GPU, other programs are shut out until the process completes. In Vista, that can cause less fluid rendering of on-screen graphics, if multiple programs are trying to use GPU resources at once.

http://www.apcstart.com/site/dwarne/2006/06/193/windows-graphics-system-to-be-overhauled

that happend to me with earlier builds cos my gfx card wouldnt instal properly and IE would randomly close. i dont kno wat happened wen i was running vista beta 2 today tho. a blue screen flashed up with lots of writing and my pc shut down. it happend twice :s

Does anyone with vista know how to make the desktop icons alone smaller? They are a little on the large side.

Cheers

Windows Vista delivers some pretty snazzy new graphics, but all that "wow" can be a real drain.

With the new version of Windows, Microsoft has created an operating system that offers advances in many areas, but laptop battery life is not one of them. Going by internal tests at one hardware maker, which declined to be named, there is noticeably lower battery life when Vista runs in its "average power" mode.

Microsoft has said that the current versions of the update deliver less battery life than Windows XP, but the company has also said it hopes to close the gap in the coming months.

One of Vista's most visible changes is its Aero interface, which offers spiffier graphics when people navigate through the operating system. Its advanced Aero Glass effects include translucent windows and animated transitions, as well as the ability to move between windows and documents by selecting from miniature versions of those items.

http://news.com.com/Vista+beta+sucks+up+battery+juice/2100-1016_3-6079215.html?tag=nefd.lede

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom