would like to break habit of logging in as admin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same problem, unable to copy a user profile from System when I created a new Admin and Limited user profile.

csamuels said:
you cannot copy to or from the admin account while it is in use. make a second admin account. login on the second admin. follow copy profile instructions.

if you copy the profile to c:\documents and settings\default user the profile will created for each new user.

That seems illogical. It seems to make sense that the administrator profile should only be accessed while the administrator is logged in. But even then it still doesn't work.

To clarify, I have created 2 new accounts (in addition to the admin account I have been using all along. Of the 2 new accounts, one has administrative privileges, and one is a regular user account.

Regardless of which account I log into (including eithr admin account) , I still cannot access the administrator profile to move it anywhere.

Need to see the users in the Administrators Group.

Simply put, the easiest way to do this, is by doing the following.

Create 2 accounts (which you have done). Leave the account you want to use as is, and change the other account to the admins group. Logon as the account you want to use, once. This will create the folders and registry hive for it. Then log off and on as the other account you created. Delete the Documents and settings directory of the account you just created, and copy the administrators Folder on the same directory. It will be named "Copy of ..." Rename is to the same name that you had as the account you wanted to use. This will link the registry environment to the profile. That is all the copy to does.
Then delete the profile you are logged on as, from under the admins account, and log on as the new user. This should word for you.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom