Want to build a dual p4 computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrzeeedler

Daemon Poster
I need to find a dual proccesor motherboard that can handle two 3ghz or 3.2ghz cpus. also preferably able to handle 2gb of rdram. Im not sure if something like this exists though. So whats closest to it.
thanks,
kevin

Building a server?

There are plenty of server boards that will run Xeon chips over 3GHz. Find a listing of neweggs server mobos here.

It's possible, just costs a lot...... Do a google search, I did and a lot of stuff popped up.

ASUS i875P Chipset Server Motherboard for Dual Intel Xeon CPU, Model "PC-DL Deluxe" -RETAIL 202.00

Intel Pentium 4 Xeon 3.06GHz 533MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail 477.00 each (need 2)

Transcend 184Pin 1GB DDR PC-2700 - Retail 220.00 each (need 4)

Maxtor/Quantum 36.7GB 15,000RPM SCSI Hard Drive, Model 8C036J0, OEM Drive Only 241.00

Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD, OEM Drive Only 231.00

ASUS Black 8X DVD+RW/-RW Drive, Model DRW-0804P, Retail 130

ASUS Black 8X DVD+RW/-RW Drive, Model DRW-0804P, Retail 130

rounded ide cables 30

matrox parhelia 256mb video card 555.00

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0350" -RETAIL 164.00

case-200
watercooling-300
extra 100

about 4150$ do you guys see any conflicts with it? the last 3 prices were just to pick up the slack in shipping and other random cables. Also its a server motherboard, what kind of conflicts will this give me? how is it differnt from a normal one?

Um..... well its meant for a SERVER.

If youre considering using duals for a personal PC- DONT.

No offense, but it just looks to me like youre looking to drop a bunch of money into a buncha crap you dont even understand or need.

If you want to make a top of the line PC with specs that are realistic- you can get one WITH a nice LCD monitor, keyboard and mouse for that amount of money.

either dual or single cpu i would be running 3 monitors for video editing. I can deal with 2 but i can do 3 so i might as well. It just makes things alot easier for me and uncluttered space to work in premiere and photoshop.

1 single processor can handle it. If you have a lot of money, get a 3.2 HT. But if not just go with the AMD 64 bit.

Considered a G5? Im by no means a Mac guy at all... but theyre massively powerful machines, and great for VE. And if you got that kinda cash- consider it.

Otherwise- dont go dual. I would vote for an AMD FX-53 with a couple gigs of ram (I seriously doubt you could utilize over 2 gigs). What kinda VE are we talkin about? Like- length and exportation type? Cos unless youre doing stuff at extremely high exportation properties over an hour you wont use 3 gigs of ram.

@Monster00 - I take it youre referring to the P4 3.2EE w/ HT?

Shrapnill, no im not. Thats like 900 dollars. If he wants, i mean a 3.2 HT. not extreme. But i mean if he wanted to get a dual xeon, the mobo and the XEon processors would be over 900 dollars right there... with 1 MB of L2 cache.. The xeon 3.2 processors alone are 805 dollars. But i mean he can also go with the 3.4 with no HT for like 500 dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom