Something's confusing me about AMD now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoad

Daemon Poster
I Have to make clear this is all hypothetical to present a really confusing question..

Lets say I have a huge 4000$ Budget to buy any PC I want, its enough for a rig with the AMD FX 60 Dual Core, right?

but should I even spend money and buy that CPU while I know I will be ought to buy an old mobo to use it? [s939 instead of the new AM2 mobos, because those only support a really crappy chips for now]

Now, I wouldn't want to be looking @ Intels side because all the chips there right now are weaker than the current AMDs on socket 939, but again... s939 will be phased out in this year so its been said..

so what? no buying high-end computers at all? I mean, what should I be suggesting to a guy with a high budget to buy if I know that the current AM2 or Intels sucks and the only worth buying technology will be worthless within half a year and he'll be forced to buy a whole new computer if he wishes to upgrade in the future....

Tough question I know, I also wrote it kinda messy, cause im tired.// 2am here

I suggest you wait a month for conroe. AM2 in come cases is no faster than socket 939, and the times that it is faster, the difference is so small it can only be detected in benchmarks.

Well, I wasn't really implying I am going to buy a PC, but look at this case, a guy comes to me saying he has an unlimited budget, and I stand and think.. wth do I offer hiim then... I wouldn't want to offer him a 939 board because in two months it will be totaly outdated by both AMD & Intel... get my point? lol

i hav heard a lot about s939's dying in a year but why? whats to say thats going to happen? i dont get that

I would get him the best at the time and warn him of later arrivals that he might want to wait for. If he says get me the best NOW get him the FX-60 and be done w/ it. Just get hime stuff that will last a while in the future liek say, 3gig of ram, quad SLI, 2terabytes of HD space ect. (saying we have an unlimited budget and saving money dosent mean anything)

AM2 provides a better upgrade path. Not to mention I saw this freaking incredible mobo:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2224204&CatId=2320

Mad options for OC, 802.11g, and the nForce 590 chipset make me want that now, and I might go when the prices drop on the new AM2 chips.

AM2 also has the 5000+ X2 chip, which is probably close to the FX in performance.

I would say go AM2 because of the better upgrade path. Future processors will likely be AM2.

Of course waiting till July 23 to see what Conroe can actually do would be a good path as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom