Come on AMD! bye bye Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh, this is interesting, but it still seems like a poor solution. It reminds me of SLI, instead of developing a better chip, they just offer running two mediocre chips.

The cost benefit is sure to suck as there is no way you will double performance but you will double cost.

idiotec said:
Huh, this is interesting, but it still seems like a poor solution. It reminds me of SLI, instead of developing a better chip, they just offer running two mediocre chips.

The cost benefit is sure to suck as there is no way you will double performance but you will double cost.

exactly intel can get technoly form their highend processors(xeon) down to their desktop processors (pentium) too.

I dotn see the big deal. Amd hasnt done anything but put 2 processor ina motherboard which has be done and overdone.

So what the bey bey intel?

First of all, you guys do realize that in order to actually use 4 or even 3 cores, the operating system and all the programs have to be written to take advantage of it. A program that takes advantage of two cores will not take advantage of 4 cores.

Second of all, buying a high end motherboard with two CPU sockets and two CPUs would be a lot more buying a single socket motherboard and a dual core CPU.

Your very funny why would they release AM2 we will not see this till 2007 acourding to AMD's roadmap. Furthermore these will be expensive I'm guessing I love the fact that a $300 Core 2 Duo can kick a $600-700 AMD's ***. Also we already are half way through 2006 so fail to see your argument besides it crumbling away.

Yeah, pretty bad plan.

I wonder how much heat a quad core processor will produce.
It's not a quad core.

Yup, that's why I hate the idea of SLI and now they are using it here. The price wouldn't even make it worth it, not to mention like 003 said. There will be NOTHING that'll even take advantage of that for quite some time.

Regular dual cores as it is aren't even really supported. Won't be fully supported until vista.

You all seem to be forgetting that socket940 has existed for several years now with the potential for running up to eight simultaneously operating opteron 8** cores

Furthermore, any opteron 865 or higher is capable of running in an octa-socket environment which would account for 16 cores...this concept is nothing new and nothing short of expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom