Missing/Corrupt File

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello Tyler...I tried that but could not find the file on the cd i was needing. I can't remember exactly what it was...someone told me what it was. It was something like d:\i386....hit a deadend there.

Thx

yes...you are right...I found it...Although, I went to a computer repair place down the street...and he said that cannot be done with my IBM Laptop...and, I read somewhere else that said they did not recommend doing it either...who knows!!
Really sux being a Virgin Techie!!!!!! haha
Man...ppl out there with pc troubleshooting experience are making some serious cash these days!!!
Hope to be of them someday!!

Thx for help...tc!!

what did you eventually do?
repair doesnt work for me
i called tech support and they say to have expert back data up then reload windows
but i cannot lose my daa very important to me files on there

What exactly is your error and we can help you solve it. If you are getting the hal.dll just replace it. That should work just fine.

Hello Terry,
I don't remember too much detail about what i did back in August 2005...but i believe this is when i did successfully reload/repair windows without losing any files. I remember backing up only certain files...but not all had to be backed up.
A repair install is somewhat like an overhaul on you car. It's still alot of work...but not as much. Personally...i think it's just as much work. Next time i would probably just rebuild from scratch.
Hope this helped!!

my error like the guys before is that i did a disk clean up selected catalog for index files and the machine started getting wiped out applications just disappearing

turned computer off restarted and got dos mode prompt saying missing or corrupt file hal.dll

called tech support walked me through booting recovery mode from operating system disk and attempting repair rebuild

did not work

attemting to expand the drive into another did not work

the tech eventaul came to the conclusion that the operating system is corrupt and that windows will have to be reinstalled thus causing me to lose everything

THIS IS NOT AN OPTION (if can be avoided at all)

he then went on to tell me to have data backed up at a maintenance place (radio shack best buy (his words))

my question is ....
what exactly happened to this last guy with the same identical issue?
will i lose my personal data (pics songs word doc excel docs etc etc etc etc?
is ther eany thing else i can attempt to get this system back with out comprimising my personal data?
a guy here at work says he has Bart PE and can just attach an external hard drive and transfer data to the external then reload windows (format) then the difficult task of placing all my documents back on the computer - is there a different or better way?
what exactly did this problem happen i have been doing searches and have noticed a few havig the exact same identical problem?

SHAWN said:
Do a repair install. Instructions are in my sig.

will attempting this repair delete my data?
i did all the same stuff as this repair except for hit "r" instead of enter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom