Question about Switching Video Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

JND

Solid State Member
I currently have a rickety GeForce 2 Mx/Mx 400 card in my computer. I would like to get the Radeon 9800 SE.

I've had a couple friends caution me on switching from the GeForce to the Radeon and vice versa. All they could tell me was that XP does not like it and that I would likely need to reformat Windows. Seeing as that wasn't too much to go on, I figured I'd ask a little broader base of computer users.

Has anyone had any problems making this switch or an suggestions/cautions I should heed?

Thanks,
Nate

I've switched back and forth a few times, from ATI to Nvidia.. back to ATI... and now back to Nvidia.

Just remember to uninstall your old display drivers and any video card related software (such as ATI Control Panel) that might have been loaded with your old video card.

You shouldnt have any problems after that.

Also, make sure you have the drivers for the new card availble... one time I misplaced the drivers and I was stuck at 640x480 for a while until I could download them.... it wasnt pretty.

HoloCron, Thanks for the response. That leads me to another question: What would be the best way to go about uninstalling these?

Would I go into Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager and then opt to unistall there?

This question could really show my ingorance, but if i uninstall my video driver, take out my old and put in my new card, will my computer display work w/o the new drivers installed?

The control panel approach works out fine, you'll be ok.

What you want to do if go to the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel.

Look for the Nvidia or ATI adapter and click on the remove button.

When you do this, you will have to restart the computer.

Go ahead and shut if off, unplug the powe cable on your power supply, switch video cards and power on your PC.

That should be it. Don't forget to have your drivers handy.. very important!

Oh... and even if you don't have your new drivers handy, your card will work and you will see your desktop and stuff but the colors and resolutions will be all wacky (Super huge icons and windows, and only 16 - 256 colors)

I agree with Holo's advice ...except for one thing that control panel unistall clears up the drivers ..

This method normallys tends to leave some residual files ..which may / maynot create problems

I would suggest u use Driver Cleaner

N' then install the new drivers after the restart n' changing of cards

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm going to get the new card and give this a try.

as long as you uninstall / install properly you wont have any problems switching cards.

Can you have 2 video cards at the same time.

I have Nvidia geforce mx 440 (or something like that)

I ordered the 9800 pro today.

Do I have to remove the nvidia card?

If the MX 440 is a PCI card, then you can have the 9800 Pro in the AGP slot and the 440 in the PCI slot, ya, but if the MX 440 is an AGP card, then you would HAVE to remove it to put in the 9800 Pro :p

Although removing the MX 440 would probably be the best, even if it is a PCI card, because of the fact that it MAY cause some problems/conflicts with the new Radeon being in at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom