Windows Genuine Advantage Notification

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightKnight

Beta member
Earlier today, windows was downloading updates (I have automatic updates switched on), and it installed Windows Genuine Advantage Notification. As far as I know, it's to check if people have a genuine copy of windows, and tells them it isn't a genuine copy if it's pirated, right? Well my copy of Windows XP IS genuine. When the update installed, I had to restart, as you do. I restarted and Zone Alarm popped up saying that Windows Genuine Advantage Notification wanted to access the internet, so I let it access the internet. Then nothing happened, didn't take me to any website or anything. But wgatray.exe (which Windows Genuine Advantage Notification installed) disappeared from the task manager processes when I let it access the internet. Since installation, every time I start up my computer, it asks for access to the internet through Zone Alarm. I

s this normal? Is my computer at risk from anything?

I think it would access the net in order to validate your copy, I would hope it would only do it if u accessed windows update but i guess not.

It's part of Windows update Checking to see if there are any important updates. The normal schedule still applies, but the program is always going to run at startup. just put it on the safe list and be done with it...

Inaris said:
It's part of Windows update Checking to see if there are any important updates. The normal schedule still applies, but the program is always going to run at startup. just put it on the safe list and be done with it...

Ah, okay. Thank you for your help. :)

To Turn off Zone Alarm without uninstalling to (temporaroly) go to start, then run, type in MSCONFIG then from there go to startup then UNCHECK Zone Alarm and when done click ok, then restart your computer let Win do its stuff and then you have to turn Zone Alarm Back on, Go To MSCONFIG again recheck Zone Alarm and give yourself a pat on the back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom