is there a peice of software that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wycherley

Baseband Member
is there a peice of software that can allow me to log on to all the computers in one class room at my network, im fed up with having to go to every computer and key in the user name and password for 30 computers. I am one of the administrators so the security is not an issue.

for installing software on to each machine, i cant create a package and send it to the computers so i have to log on to each one and install it from my profile.

it can be or it can be new software that needs installing, theres no set time period its just a peice of software that would be handy for me to have on the network for general maintance over the year or maby longer.

A couple things...

Have you considered SMS and WSUS? These are what these are for, but there is some cost and overhead involved...

What scripting languages are you familar with? Do you know perl?

with some tweaking, a perl ProcFarm Script can remotly run installs for any application, given that the installer is either on the machine or a batch file to call the install is. I do this from time to time when we don't want SMS to show what's happening. It rides on WMI. You can also do uninstall and a lot more with it.

anyway, Good luck

Yea if you knew any programming languages it would help
Post any and all of them that you know, that way we can help you out

Just for reference... here is the code that I use for doing software loads remotly... This uses Perl and WMI, so if you don't have the software (Perl) or the rights for it, it won't work...

WMI.pl
Code:
use Win32::OLE qw( in );
use Win32::OLE::Variant;

$Machine = shift @ARGV;
$Machine=~s/\\//g;

$CLASS = "WinMgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!//$Machine";

$WMI = Win32::OLE->GetObject( $CLASS ) || die "Couldn't get WMI Interface.\n";

$Process = $WMI->Get( "Win32_Process" ) || die "Couldn't create Win32 process.\n";

$vPid = Variant( VT_I4 | VT_BYREF, 0 );

if(0==$Process->Create(join(" ",@ARGV),undef,undef,$vPid)){
    print "Process successfully created with PID $vPid\n";
}else{
    print "Failed to create process.\n";
}

THis will run anything on a machine. all you need to do is pass it a machine name and something to run. For us, this is bundled into another script which calls this. The parent script works over a list of computer names from the domain and passes each one a command to run. Take MS office... for the example, the installer logic is in the directory \\server\path$\Folder1\pro11.msi This is for machine Tester1

This is what the script would be passed:

wrun.pl Tester1 "msiexec.exe /i \\server\path$\folder1\pro11.msi TRANSFORMS=\\server\path$\folder1\pro11.MST /qn"

That would run the installer silently on the remote machine without any problem...

Good luck to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom