The fight for ATI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrZucchiniHead

Daemon Poster
i was looking around for the article about s939 dieing this year (which was in my favorites until something f'ed up) and i came across this. and it made me google it for more information and i found this.

so does anyone have any more info on who's gonna buy ATI? and why not try and buy Nvidia? why would Nvidia have so much more money than ATI that a huge company like Intel or AMD couldn't afford them?

please post what you know about this.

EDIT: link to the inquirer from the techarena webiste
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32077

Slashdot has that AMD will probably buy ATi. Nvidia has more money, they also produce mobo chipsets. Not to mention better graphics cards ;-)

AMD can afford to buy ATI? I would think that would set them back quite a bit. A bit they can't afford right now.

AnthraX said:
AMD can afford to buy ATI? I would think that would set them back quite a bit. A bit they can't afford right now.

AMD posted high earnings last year behind the success of the Athlon 64's and X2's and they don't advertise anywhere in the mainstream, like TV, mainly print media and the internet. That saves them a buttload on advertising dollars that can be reinvested into the company. So they may be sitting on a huge bankroll right now. The only big investment they've made in the last year was a new fab location in Europe. (Germany, I think? not totally sure.) The only new place they're venturing into heavily besides AM2 is the mobile processor market.

Buying ATI also gives them greater access to raw materials for chips and cards. Shared technologies might mean faster GPUs from ATI. Integration with processor and CPU? Who knows what could come from it. Although I'm not particularly a fan of ATi, it could be interesting to see what the two can cook up together.

"The fight for ATiRAGEPRO..."

AMD and ATi seem better together though. Nvidia and Intel should make a partnership. :D :cool:

Re: "The fight for ATiRAGEPRO..."

ATIRAGEPRO said:
AMD and ATi seem better together though. Nvidia and Intel should make a partnership. :D :cool:

Seems like the opposite to me. Nvidia + AMD... ATI + Intel. Both seem too crazy too happen though.

"Purpulated..."

Well, ATi makes mac graphics cards and Intel makes mac CPUs now. :(:( so yeah, that might not be too far off.

Also, Nvidia makes chipsets for AMD CPUs so the possibilities are dankage! ;) :cool:

i can see amd buying out ati, almost all ati rigs in stores run on xpress 200 chipsets, so it kinda seemed like something that was bound to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom