Fans, Heatsinks, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

subdismal

Solid State Member
Hello, everyone! I'm new to this forum and was wondering if I could get some advice from you guys.

I'm about to upgrade the cooling system in my computer. I kicked around the idea of liquid cooling, but it seems too labor-intensive and also too risky for me (as it relates to leaking, etc.). So, I decided to ugprade my fans and put them on a controller and whatnot.

I'm browsing NewEgg.com for some possible ideas, and I've came across some possible fans and CPU coolers that have gotten good reviews, which I decided on one or two, then I came to the dillemma of having multiple options of which to buy. I'll post links to them at the end of this post.

Here's my basic system specs:
- Chieftec server tower
- Epox 8RDA+ motherboard
- Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM HDD
- AMD Athlon XP 2100+ 1.73 gHz thorobred processor (soon to be overclocked)
- NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti200 128MB Video Card
- K-Wi CPU fan/Heatsink
- Antec LED 80MM fan
- two original Chieftec 80MM fans

Since I'm running some pretty low-maintenance cooling for some high-potential devices, I need to lower my system temperature for better performance.

Now, for the dillemma:

Fan Controllers
- VANTEC Nexus
link

- ASPIRE 609 Fan Master Thermal Monitor
link

Heatsink + CPU fans
- AeroCool "Glacier"
link

- Thermaltake "Volcano 7+"
link

I'm wondering if anyone has used these products or knows anything more about them to help my decision. Also, is the Apsire fan master controller proprietary to Aspire cases at all?

I'd apprciate any help and advice you guys could give me.

I look forward to posting here in the future!

okay you can run another heatsink fan besides what you have but honestly its not going to make that big of a difference. You really dont need to upgraed your cooling unless your computer is overheating which i dont think you said it was. Best think to do is have a little wire management zip tie some wires and loom some stuff and make sure all your fan areas have fans. It would be more intelligent to upgrade your hard drive to a 10,000rpm or 15,000 rpm. Or possibly more memory.

I already have 1GB of memory. I'll get a new HDD sometime soon.

My PC temperature is pretty high usually, but not extreme. Even if it's not overheating, wouldn't it still help to make the system even cooler?

When I order from NewEgg.com, a wire management kit is coming, too. I got a black loom kit, etc. Seems pretty nice for under $12.

If you dont mind? could you check your cpu temperature and post it please. Or the highest its been at? Just so we can tell if its neccesary or not. Also what is the climate of the computers home? then it might be better to upgrade.

Shrapnill, thanks for the welcome, friend! What can you get better? I'm not nessecarilly on a budget, really...but I cannot afford outrageous prices, you know? Those were actually the looms I was planning on getting! :p

mrzeeedler, how would I find my CPU temperature without getting it from BIOS info on boot?

subdismal said:
Shrapnill, thanks for the welcome, friend!

You betcha!

What can you get better? I'm not nessecarilly on a budget, really...but I cannot afford outrageous prices, you know?

Sure, I gotcha. The one I would recommend (from experience) is actually out of stock at the moment, but can be found here (estimated time of arrival 4/12/04).

As youll notice it has no fan, so youll need one of those too. If you dont mind noise- the Vantec Tornado is the fastest fan on the market.. but puts out a crapload of noise. No joke. However, with that Vantec Nexus, its no biggie (again, from experience- thats my exact setup). The Tornado also comes in an 80mm version as well.

Those were actually the looms I was planning on getting!

Again, great minds think alike. I have these as well.

mrzeeedler, how would I find my CPU temperature without getting it from BIOS info on boot?

I aint zeedler, but I can field this one too. Theres a program called Motherboard Monitor by livewire that can use sensors built into your mobo to read temps.

The Epox 8RDA+ is supported. Try that out and let us know where youre at.

I could probably afford that heat sink if it's going to be that much better. I'm sure the price is reflective of the quality (not always true, though). So you reccomend that heat sink with a 120MM Tornado? Yeah, when I get some high-speed fans (my next order), I'll definitely get one of those controllers. How well does the Nexus do? I was sort of partial to the Aspire Fan Master, since it had an LED display, etc. However, if you'd reccomend the Nexus over that, I'd definitely take your word for it.

I wish my case supported 120MM fans in it...80MM fit perfect. Guess I could mod it a little, but it's not worth it. I'll just get those 80MMs, I guess. They just need to come back in stock soon.

Thanks for the help, man!

I'm posting from school, since I'm still in high school =/ When I get home, I'll check out that motherboard monitor and post my temperatures in this thread.

That first tornado I posted is 92mm, which is the largest that will fit on the SLK-900 series heatsink.

Only reason I recommend the Nexus over the Aspire is because I have vantec tornados. The Aspire does not have enough voltage per channel to control em.

If you're temps are high or if you just really want to upgrade cooling then I'd get an thermalright slk-900 series. One that holds a 92mm fan. If you are wanting to stick with one of the ones you posted then get the thermaltake. I had the glacier on mine and it didn't quite do the job I wanted it to but it's still good. Get the nexus controller also. Somebody suggested the tornado on the heatsink being controlled by the nexus. the only gribe I had here is that the tornado will stop at about 3-4 volts and starts at 6 volts. I kept mine at 4-5 all the time but the electricity flickered and restarted comp and the tornado didn't start. Luckily my mobo has overheat shutdown or else it wouldn't burnt up the cpu. Just something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom