Build or Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfanumerik

Beta member
Hi, I'm on a budget of $1000 (with an extra $200 if needed) and I'm trying to round up the best overall media/gamin computer I can.

On another forum, someone suggested this lineup:

AMD: $552
ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard: $110
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+: $305
OCZ OCZ4001024ELDCPE-K 1GB kit DDR-400 RAM: $105
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 pro CPU cooler: $32

Intel: $455
ASUS P5PL2 945PL motherboard: $105
Intel Pentium D 930 (3.0ghz dual cored): $215
Corsair TWIN2X1024-5400C4 1GB kit DDR2-667 RAM: $105
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro CPU cooler: $30

common components: $542
Western Digital WD2500JS 250GB hard drive: $85
Coolermaster RC-534-SKR2 case w/430W power supply: $95
(LG/LiteOn/NEC) DVD+/-RW dual layer burner: $55
Sapphire 100154L Radeon X1800XT 256MB video card: $285
Mitsumi combo floppy drive/media reader: $22

AMD: $1094
Intel: $997

All prices are from web shops and include shipping. Shop around and look for rebates and you'll save more.

You could drop down to a Athlon 64 3500+ and get the AMD price down to $1000. If you never plan on OC'ing, you could drop the Arctic coolers and save that bit. The x1800xt is still a high-end card, but you could save about $100 by downgrading to a geforce 7600gt. However, I always recommend setting a budget and spending every last penny of it."

I've also looked at the HP Pavilion M7470N, but the reviews worry me.

Can someone please give me an opinion on another computer, the current lineup, or another set of components?

Notes:

I will buy a copy of Windows XP Pro
The computer is part gaming and part media. I'd like to have CD and DVD recorders and a floppy drive.
I already have speakers, a monitor, and a keyboard/mouse set.

Thanks,

Abel.

the AMD system looks good, but i would change the mobo to a DFI lanparty UT Ultra-D(ony $10 more than the asus you have there) and you could squeeze 2gb of value RAM in there if your not overclocking. and a X1800GTO can be unlocked to a X1800XT, or is it an XL (im confused) so you'll save some money their is you dont mind unlocking the card.

if your not sure whether or not you want to build your own, check out http://www.cyberpowerpc.com . Just wait for their 5% off and free shipping deals that they have like 3 weeks out of every month. They basically just assemble the parts for you. No proprietary hardware, you just choose what you want and they'll put it together. It actualy turned out to be cheaper that buying stuff off of newegg for me.

And from what i understand, its not a good idea to use the powersupplies that come with the case

Heres something that you could do from them for $1291 (including xp pro and with the current 5% off). It also comes with a 3 year warranty, lifetime support, free shipping, and no tax unless you live in california

and it comes with : Age of Empires, Age of Mythology, Rise of Nations, and Flight simulator

- Aspire x-dreamer mid-tower case
- Enermax 535watt PSU
- Athlon X2 3800
- CPU fan w/ heat sink
- 3 extra case fans
- MSI K8N NEO4-F nForce4 mobo
- 2 gb corsair value select ram
- Geforce 7900 gt
- Wes Dig Caviar 250gb
- NEC 3550A 16X DVD+-RW drive w/ dual layer
- Creative Labs SB Audigy SE sound card
- mouse/keyboard
- 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer
- Floppy drive
- Windows XP professional

Thats got everything above, AND it includes the operating system, a soundcard, 2gb ram, a decent power supply, the warranty....

Plus, when you look at the prices you listed from the other forum, those dont look like they include the extra ~75 youll pay for shipping, and the extra ~50 you might have to pay for tax (i dont know about newegg in florida...)

Ne way, it really seems like you'd be getting more for less from cyberpower

The only advantage i could see in building your own is that you would gain knowlege about the computer... More important to some people than others... personally, i have decent knowlege about computers, but im happier with a warranty and lifetime support...

sorry for the book

I love your idea, and it's definitely at the top of my list now. It seems like a good idea. Had I built my own I wouldv'e learned about my computer which is what I initially wanted to do and have my friend, who built his own, as my backup should I do something wrong. It's also cheaper, I hear. But this idea is better IMO and I'm definitely going with it!

Thanks!

They have actualy been recomended to me from a few ppl on this site as a good place to build a decent computer without charging much. I wish i could give you my experience, but i havent bought mine yet... a bunch of people on this site have got me second guessing myself about whether or not i should wait for conroe.

Im sure there are horror stories about them just as there are about most companies... and DEFINATELY about 1st timers trying to build their own haha

but yeah, since i might also be buying through them... i'd like to hear about any problems with cyberpower as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom