summer time, video card warming up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Travis18 said:
how about u buy yourself a new computer toxicity? lol

How about you keep your posts on topic?

Also I'm planning on building myself a new computer after Conroe comes out if you care so much. This one works for what I need it to do so who cares? Thanks and you're welcome.

EDIT: Oh and also I don't have my mom and dad buying everything for me. I have to work to get my stuff. Not saying that you're one of those people that have mom and dad buy everything for you, but there are many many people on these forums that have their parents buy whatever they want and then give other people **** about their computers because they don't have top of the line components because their parents won't buy them everything.

You could get a good PCI cooler from NewEgg or anywhere, maybe throw in some high RPM case fans, and if thats still not cool enough just pay a sibbling to stand beside your PC and wave a palm tree leaf up and down.

If you have an old 80mm or 120mm fan you can use that as a pci fan. I cant find the pics of wat i did but basically glued a pci bracket to the side of a 120mm fan. then slotted it back under my gfx card. Made it cooler by atleast 7c :)

a side note about heat transfer in general... the rate of heat transfer is solely driven by the temperature gradient. By temperature gradient, i mean the temperature difference between the chip and the heatsink, and then the temperature difference between the heatsink and fluid (air). Example: lets say your GPU was at 120*F (your heat sink is (ideally) ~120*F). if the ambient temperature increases by say 20%, your rate of heat transfer DECREASES by 20%. this is illustrated by the basic heat transfer equations:
[conduction]
Q_dot={k*A*delta(T)}/t
[convection]
Q_dot=h*A*delta(T)

Q_dot = Rate of Heat Transfer (BTU/s) (Joules/s or Watts)
k = conduction heat transfer coeffiecient (dependent on material, pure materials have higher k, resulting in higher Q_dot, which is why good heatsinks are made of copper)
t = thickness of material the heat is conducting thru
delta(T) = temperature difference (usually celsius or kelvin)
h = convective heat tranfer coefficient (dependent on fluid density and viscosity, geometry, and velocity of fluid)

note the rate of heat transfer is directly proportional to the temperature difference. all things being androgenous (given and constant), the temperature change results in a proportional change in heat transfer. An easy way to counter act this to supply more voltage to your CPU/GPU fan inorder to increase the velocity of fluid across your heatsink, ergo raising your "h" and increasing the "Q_dot" or rate of heat transfer (WHICH IS GOOD!). :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom