HELP! Laptop Overheats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornell4life

Baseband Member
I'm running XP on my toshiba, and for a couple years the fan has been pretty loud. Well now, it's actually overheating and shutting down. It's doing it when I try to run disk defragmenter, disk cleanup, or my Macafee virus scan. Everything is moving slowly, and I was trying to clean things up. Any suggestions to stop the unwanted shutting down? I've actually had the fan changed out a couple times...

I have seen these pads that your notebook sits on that have two fans, about the size of a case fan.

They run pretty nicely, and start at about $30. You should get one.

what specs do you want? just tell me and I'll let u know...it's a Satellite...Pentium 4, 512MB RAM...what else do you need?

talldude123 said:
I have seen these pads that your notebook sits on that have two fans, about the size of a case fan.

They run pretty nicely, and start at about $30. You should get one.

Yeah, it is about a thin 15" piece of plastic that holds 2 80mm fans that should cool off the laptop. And on average you'll see the price for these to be around $30. And I think it plugs into your USB but, some might need a seperate adapter :confused:

well, I bought a $30 Targus cooling pad at Staples. hopefully it works...is that a reputable brand?

cornell4life said:
well, I bought a $30 Targus cooling pad at Staples. hopefully it works...is that a reputable brand?

You should fix the problem directly to prevent problems in the future. A local computer repair shop could have opened it up and cleaned out all the fans, heatsink, etc. for a small amount of money. I would recommend dealing with the problem directly as much as your budget allows then using a cooling pad.

I wouldn't JUST use a cooling pad without looking into the problem.

well, I've had the fan change TWICE before and it fixes the probably temporarily, but it always comes back...I don't know what to do.

Re:

Hello,

That's the problem with laptops that don't have mobile processors...they run very hot and most of the time they overheat.

You could try re-pasting the CPU to the heatsink with good thermal compound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom