usb device behavior on XP and ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcmoral

Solid State Member
I recently bought a USB memory card reader. Thing is it behaves differently on my XP and ME computers.
On the XP computer the device has to be reconnected to the USB port after I log in for the system to detect it properly. If I boot up with the device connected XP won't detect it or it won't recognize it.
The behavior on the ME computer is the exact opposite. It has to be plugged in at boot up to be detected properly. If I connect it after boot up the device will be detected, but it won't be assigned a drive letter. I have to restart the computer in order to use it.
Any ideas to fix this strange behavior so it works properly on either machine (it should be detected and assigned a drive letter whether or not it is connected at boot up)? Thanks in advance!

Update drivers for both computers.

Go to Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> Look for "Card Reader"

Thanks for the quick reply. Windows says the best driver is already installed. The device came with drivers only for Win98 and Win2k. There aren't any drivers available at the manufacturer's website. I guess they just counted on the default XP and ME drivers to get the job done. Am I stuck with this behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom