What better for games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wishmaster

Solid State Member
I want to buy a laptop and i have a hard time to decide what type of CPU i need, what type of graphic card, how much of main memory?

I planning to use this laptop mainly for watching movies and playing fast action games like racing and shooting games.

Wishmaster, Are you completely settled on getting a laptop. From what I understand its tough for them to get nearly the preformance that you can get from a desktop.

And they're are considerable harder to modify/upgrade.

Nate

I completely settled on getting a laptop because i spend much more time in other places rather than home. Also, I want to buy a laptop that will satisfay me for about 3-4 years and than i will replace it.

I'll just post some labtops that are "top of the line".

Dell's XPS are #1 at the moment and in a close second is the Alienware Area 51M. Another company worth taking a look at is Acer. Hope that helps.

But it all depends on how big your budget is.

I would prefer a AMD Athlon XP over Intel's P4s. I'll just list some reasons why.

XPs don't get as hot as P4s do.
XPs don't take as much voltage as P4s.
XPs cost less than P4s
That's just a few reasons why AMD is better than Intel.

Right now, the AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 is the top CPU you can possibly buy, but I hope you have $900 to spare. :D

As for RAM...It should have at least 512Mb, but preferably 1Gb.

And for the graphics card.....I would go with a ATI Radeon 9600 (at the least)

Id go for a Mobile Athlon 64 chip or a Pentium M thats pretty high clocked and a Radeon 9700 Mobility.

g5orbust said:
Id go for a Mobile Athlon 64 chip or a Pentium M thats pretty high clocked and a Radeon 9700 Mobility.

I agree;)

Your looking at paying atleast $2,000 for a modest latop that can run games pretty well:rolleyes: The Dell Inspiron XPS is $5,000 dollars and top of the line:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom