Power supply and shorting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafangor

Beta member
I recently built my first computer. I didn't know however of the different motherboard/power supply compatibility issues. Meaning, 20 vs 24 pin power on the motherboard. A friend of mine that has been building computers for a little while said that I would be very lucky if I hadn't fried my motherboard.

I plugged a 20 pin PSU into my motherboard, which is a 24 pin. Since I didnt know what could happen, I turned it on, and the fans worked and the light on the motherboard lit up, but no image appeared on my monitor. Later I found out that the monitor may have been faulty, and that I did some other things wrong.

My question to anyone is: Do you think it fried my motherboard, doing what I did? Even if it did, it will only be 75$ to replace it.

You shold be fine... there is only one way for that connector to go into the mobo anyway even on a 24 pin slot, providing that you also plugged in the 4 pin connector somewhere else on the mobo... if you have to just pull the battery for a few minutes and try again... If you still get nothing, try reseating your video card. if THAT doesn't work... take a step back and look up how to build a system recently done with nice pics and all by one of our fellow forum members...

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108120

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom