Moving files from one pc to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

justadummy

Baseband Member
Okay, let me re phrase this: I am getting a new PC and I want to transfer all my files, programs, etc from the old one to the new one. One machine is Win98se and the new one is xp. Short of reinstalling all the programs, can the files be transfered over to the other machine? Thanks.

Assuming info means data means files... easiest way for me has always been via ZIP drive, or CD media. You can also hook up direct serial cables from one pc to another if the os supports it, or go with a lan connection. As a last resort, file transfer stuff from one pc that's online to another pc that's online.

We definitely need more info.

Ah, yea good ol' RS-232, where have those days gone?
But, honestly, I've seen some species of grass grow faster than tranferring files using a 9-pin serial connection. :confused:
I agree...we need a little bit more information.

-Mike

Hehe. I could use some of that grass here in my yard. I was complaining the other day about how the grass out there is just dieing or already dead and nonexistent.

mikesgroovin said:
Ah, yea good ol' RS-232, where have those days gone?
But, honestly, I've seen some species of grass grow faster than tranferring files using a 9-pin serial connection.-Mike

lol yeah i had to use serial to copy all the cabs to install win98 on a laptop that had no CD-Rom... (i may be dating myself now... )

4 hours to copy all the files need to run the win98 install...
Back to your question...

That was a great site ekÆsine Posted.. read that. It has a ll the info you need to copy the FILES.

The quickest way to move the FILES is to create a LAN. Whether through a hub and 2 network cards one on each computer. Or through the use of two network cards, one in each computer and a crossover cable....

As for the Programs, they Need to be reinstalled on the new computer. You can not move programs from one computer to another due to the required registry setting sthat are set up during the install.

I just got a DVD writer and that is a pretty good use for file transfer on a medium scale, if you are looking for serious file transfer, ie 10 gigs or more as i have done before, the best thing is to get a patch cable and hook the two computers up over a transfer protocol. I am not sure if windows 98se supports this, but i know how to do it in XP... I transferred 12 gB in about 45 minutes. :D

Transfer only your data and not the programs. Start fresh in your XP box to keep it running smoothly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom