ipod as a hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, before you plug in your ipod, change your options to manually update songs instead of automatically. Then you can plug you ipod in and manually drag songs from you library and put them on your ipod ect.

Also, when you guys say you can use your ipod as a hdd, i dont see how thats possible considering once you put something on your ipod, you cant take it off and save it to the computer again. You can only play/use it while the ipod is connected to your computer

compy said:
so, i need to reformat my computer but there are files i still need...can i use my ipod as an external hdd? and if so how can i do this? i tried to google it but nothing really came up.
Here's a suggestion...Try the Apple website. The folks who made the iPod have a wonderful support system, with forums and everything. No need for Google.

There's also details about how to do what you want in both the manual that came with the iPod, the iTunes software, the connectivity software CHM files, and I think there's even a default install help file on the iPod itself.

But believe it or not, when I first tried to do this, long long ago, I looked at the Apple logo and decided to go to the Apple website. There it was, a nifty link right in the navbar for the iPod website.

BTW, how hard did you search Google? 'Cause a search for "iPod" returns the iPod website as the first hit.

...As much as we can help you out here, you'd probably find the best info and support at the forum devoted to supporting the product you want support for.

Just a thought...

I don't see it necessary to use my iPod as a harddrive. I have two externals that do the job just fine. It wouldn't make sense for me to put a movie on my iPod, seeing it's not a video iPod. Just my preference...

M4A1 said:
I don't see it necessary to use my iPod as a harddrive. I have two externals that do the job just fine. It wouldn't make sense for me to put a movie on my iPod, seeing it's not a video iPod. Just my preference...
I find it very useful. My iPod goes with me on all my business and personal trips, so it easily doubles as both my music player, and a big portable thumb-drive, kinda.

When I go on a business trip, for instance, I put all my electronic files and documents on my iPod, rather than carrying around a bunch of thumb drives, CD's, or another external hard-drive.

I read threw these posts and didn't see the answer so here it is,, Yes you can use it as a hdd all you have to do is go into Itunes click on the ipod and there is an option to set how much space to use to store files and how much for music then just click and drag the files you want threw my computer. And the space that show's up in my computer is the space you set aside for file storage, This way it doesn't mess up your library.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom