FX62 and 5000+ for socket 939 too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt I'll get to upgrade until the generation after AM2 or so, so I ain't really worried about how good AM2 is.

But, if the s939 prices drop low enough, I might be able to scrape enough together to snag a really sweet CPU before they vanish... which won't be soon.

aaronkupen said:
AM2 is dead already ^-^.
Everyone should just wait for the intel core 2's.
AM2 is a socket, not a CPU. yes, the current CPU's in socket AM2 are not that great, but they are only first release, and they still have some bugs

AM2 supports DDR2 and will be able to support DDR3 when AMD makes the memory controller for it.

AM2 is what AMD's CPU's are going to use, probabbly for quite a while, especially considering the potential to support DDR3

But you must agree, Apokalipse, that the current memory controllers on AM2 are seriously flawed...

yes they are. like I said, the current AM2 CPU's still have bugs in them.
the memory controllers they have now are adapted from the DDR memory controllers, so they don't really agree with the DDR2 speeds.
not because they can't handle the speeds, but because they are are kinda out of sync with the numbers, like 333MHZ etc, where DDR1 memory controllers use speeds like 200MHZ (a nice round number)

But you must agree, Apokalipse, that the current memory controllers on AM2 are seriously flawed...
And Intels DDR2 controler isnt? Its worse than their PC100/133 controler and worse than their first DDR controler on the P4. DDR2 dosent give a boost in speed really in any platform because its not being taken advantage of. When i see either one take those speeds for granted and do it right w/ tight timings THEN ill be impressed. Right now its just a sport for raw processing power and its silly. Who can make the fastest processor isnt the game anymore. ITs who can make the best insides that support everything else and make them go faser. Its like you may have a nice shiny new water firetruck but if the fire hydrant has shitty pipes then the firetruck is kinda useless w/ low pressure. Yea i know bad analogy but it still gets the point across.

First off I know AM2 is a socket, but my point was that intel core 2's are shown to dominate at pretty much everything. Also, if they planned on switching to AM2, why are they making new 939's?

I personally just don't see a reason to get a socket AM2 processor now when the new intels are coming out in july.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom