Profanity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to emphasis this point:
Bypassing, or trying to bypass the filters by spelling out the word except for one letter (or two) is not acceptable. If you're smart enough to do that, then you're smart enough to choose a different adjective. Type in your own asterisks if you want. Type in characters like #%@#%. Don't type in the l334 versions or non-English versions.

Besdies several people making the profanity filters work, they are also trying to bypass the filter. Please do NOT continue this. Thanks for your cooperation.

Dave :D

"Ima ***** that mu*****!! Hey! it works! :D J\K..."

Sometimes when people were trying to type the word D***, it's actually somones name.

Somone PM'd me and sweared like Lincoln because he thought i was cursing him out the northern hemisphere. lol :p

What shall we do about such things???:confused: :cool:

On the very rare occassion that the filter would take out someone's name, you could do as mentioned above and change the "i" to a "1". That would work, but don't use this as an excuse to call everyone that. :)

OK, I've gone through some of my recent posts and i've changed my choice of words in a few places. Thanks for giving me a warning in the Uwe Boll thread instead of just banning me or something.

Hmm... I've found the filter is a nice way of pointing out who has dirty language and making it clear. If you don't use language like that, you'll look like a more intelligent person anyway.

Ryan

There has been some more discussion about profanity. Let me try to clear up a couple of things.

First of all, when we make rules at TF, we ask for the Forum Leaders' opinions (sometimes we ask for member's opinions). And sometimes, a rule is made by the Owners and/or Admins. Regardless of how the rules are decided upon, the Forum Leaders have the responsibility of enforcing those rules, even if they may not agree with them. So if you use profanity and a Mod edits it out or warns you about it, remember that they are doing their jobs. If you want to debate the rightness or wrongness, the strictness or laxness, the wisdom or the ignorance of it, then you'll want to contact me. However, you'll want to refer to the first post in this thread that says that this thread is open for comments and questions, not for profanity. And it is not open to change the rule.

Please note that we are going to a NO PROFANITY rule. Get in practice now and stop with the profanity. And remember, using profanity with a symbol or number substituted for a letter is also NOT acceptable.

It's been awhile since this thread was first posted and since the last post in it. Since that time, members continue to use profanity and do the things that this thread explicity says not to do.

As of now, no profanity is acceptable; as in the Zero Profanity Rule. What is acceptable is to see the **** asterisks or the #%^@ characters, not the word spelled out with a number substituting for a letter or partly spelled with other characters in it, etc. . Read the first post.

The Forum Leaders have presently been editting those posts that continue to use profanity. I think that instead of editting a post, we should delete the entire post. Maybe that's the way it should go with any post that breaks any rules, like the ones that want to play the rules on things that are off limits. So, you make a long post, break the rules, and the post disappears. It's simpler and quicker than a Mod having to come in and edit or [SNIP] out the trash. The Forum Leaders are discussing this with me now.

Thanks for your cooperation.

i am curious does this zero profanity now apply to the circumstances you mentioned earlier i.e if we are actually referring to something that is not truly a curse word e.g. the australian electronics store "Richard Smith Electronics" *name is actually an abbreviation for Richard :). i also wish the words for the opposite of heaven and the word meaning to condemn to the place opposite of heaven could be removed as they are not terribly profane in my opinion, but that is only my opinion and it is not my position to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom