AMD pricedrop before conroe??

Status
Not open for further replies.

triskit

In Runtime
Someone mentioned that AMD is supposedly dropping their prices soon, does that just mean that they will do so when conroe comes out, or is it rumored to be sooner? How significant a price drop do you guys think it'll be?.. 20-30 bucks isnt really worth waiting a month to me...

i need to get my comp before conroes release, but i could wait a bit if it could save me a decent amount of money

ohhh also, is there any significant reason why nvidia vid cards would drop in price soon (like within ~ 1 month) ? Im looking at a 7900gt right now if that makes a difference

why can't you wait until conroe? since your typing on this forum i'm guessing you have a perfectly good computer thats still usable for a couple more months =D. but if it can't wait, didn't Intel just have a huge price drop on all their current processors? if so then maybe pick up a pentium D instead.

EDIT: the price drops on the intel line doesnt happen until the Core 2 Duo arrives.

I'd wait for Conroe anyways, then third-party sites can make fair comparisons and benchmarks, then depending on the price: performance ratio between AMD and Intel, you can make an educated decision. Plus, by then maybe there will be some lower latency DDR2 out.

They won't price drop until conroe is about to come out. They are going to get the money while they can and then drop the price to remain competitive.

Wait for Conroe dude, I'm sure you can wait for a little while. From what I've heard, Conroe is going to blow AMD out of the water. I wish I had waited for it.

Even if AMD does drop their prices, our price won't come down for at least a couple months, because retailers and wholesalers (like Newegg.com) paid the higher price before the drop, and will slowly lower their prices. That way they arent selling a CPU with a cost of 800 for 600 dollars because thats what they cost now after the price drop. Do you see what I mean?

AMD will have to drop prices. In price comparison, every conroe chip performs better than the the corresponding AMD chip that is equal in price:

Core 2 Duo E6300 vs. Athlon 64 3500+ (single-core)
Core 2 Duo E6400 vs. Athlon 64 3800+ (single-core)
Core 2 Duo E6600 vs. Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Energy Efficient
Core 2 Duo E6700 vs. Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Energy Efficient
Core 2 X6800 vs. Athlon 64 FX-62

what do you think would be the earliest that retailers like cyberpower will be offering the conroe... immediately after it is realeased, or will it be a bit after that

not having a conroe wouldnt be the end of the world for me. It would be nice, but I rarely game, and when i do it isnt anything redicilously demanding. The most demanding thing that i do regularly is picture / video editing alongside like AIM, etc. The X2 3800 would be a giant upgrade from what im used to (3 year old pentium in a dell) anyway. So i guess im just not sure its worth the wait/ the hassle...

beyond that, im goin up to college on august 12, so at the latest i have to order my comp by the end of july. I need to be SURE that it gets to me. Ontop of that, it would be nice to have a couple days extra incase i need to ship it back because of a problem.

any thoughts on that... if im not gaming how much of a difference will i notice?

and what if it turns out that there are problems with the new tech..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom