AGP running in PCI mode..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeReiner

Golden Master
The other day, my uncle let me have his old computer. A cheapy old Pentium III 866 MHz, eVGA GeForce FX 5200, 384mb (3x128, pc100), some MSI intel chipset motherboard (think 815 or something)

The problem is, after installing windows 2000, and installing the video card drivers (latest), it shows up as PCI device.. resulting in horrible performance in all games from this computer's era. (UT99, quake3, cs 1.6, etc)

The slot is an AGP4x, whereas the video card is an AGG8x. I've used this card in a very similar computer a while ago, and it ran all these games perfectly... I tried using nVHardPageSE to activate the AGP controls.. but I cannot get it to work. Also, in the device manager, the video card device shows up as being in a PCI slot.. even though it's in an AGP slot..

And on top of that, I simply can't find an option to disable the onboard video anywhere!

Any help regarding this would be most appreciated.

To disable onboard video:

Go to Control Panel
Point to System
Click on Device Manager
Find your video chipset in the Device Manager, and right-click and click disable.

didnt notice that one , thats not the correct of way of disabling it , get the mobo pdf manual and have a look , usally its done in 2 ways depending on the mobo
1) onboard jumper
2) bios , youll have to set the primary display adapter to agp , also disable the onboard graphics or lower its shared ram as much as possible (in some cases it cant be fully disabled..^)

There is an option in the bios to disable onboard video memory, but no option to completely disable it. However, thanks to installing the chipset drivers, I am now running at 4x agp. UT99 now runs at a smoothe 60 fps as opposed to 20..

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom