Cathode = no system boot, unplug = FIRE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryogenic

Baseband Member
Ok, so I bought a dual-CC kit, hooked it up with the Sound Control Module that it's compatible with (it even shows it hooked up to it on the box of the CC's). I bought the module because it had a "flash" feature which would make the cathode's flicker, which I thought was cool. i hooked it all up, but I put the module to "on" just to see how that looks. i turned my system on, it worked fine, looked perty. i opened my system and put the thing to "flash', came and hooked it back up, pressed the power button, my LED fan and everything else that lights up (including the cathodes) turned on for about 1/8 of a second, then nothing. the system didnt turn on, nothing. I tried unplugging the comp power cable, and the green LED on the mobo stayed on for at least 30 seconds. it usually turns off after 2 or 3...

I opened my comp up because i thought the cathode is doing something to my system. I unhooked the 4-pin molex power-connector, came and hooked my system back up, it turned on fine, but then maybe 5 seconds later, i heard a *spark* or a *pop/spark*, then i looked at my system, and the bottom of the harddrive was on fire...

i unplugged the power cable ASAP, and the fire stopped almost immediately.

i havent tried turning it on since then, maybe 2 or 3 days ago, because i don't want to harm any of the other compoenents, like the motherboard, if they arent already...

i'm sure the harddrive is now dead / fried, but i don't know about any of the other components.

has this happened to anyone else, or can someone tell me if the rest of my system is ok, as i just built it a few weeks ago for a pretty penny...

ps, i didn't fry anything while i was putting the CC's in, i was wearing an anti-static wristband, and i didnt "wire" them wrong.

thanks,

Cryogenic

a HIPRO 500w

is there a possiblility that this didn't damage any more of my system, except the HDD and maybe the PSU ?

Re:

Hello,

...well i suppose you wont know until you turn it back on again :confused: ...

Your Hard Drive is probably :cross: ...but you never know. I'd remove it first, along with your cathodes, then boot the system up and see what happens.

Wow, that's pretty screwy. Sounds like your power supply flipped out after installing the cathodes. Take the HDD out, put in a new one, and see what happens.

Yeah, I was gonna put in a spare 40gb that I never use, but I'll do that after I try it without one.

Remember, it caught fire after I unplugged the 4-pin molex on the cathodes.

K, I'm about to go see...

I should just unplug the HDD that caught on fire, and see if it posts, then if it does, put in my 40gb ?

K, sweet ! I got it to work, I hooked my 20GB and 40GB, and hopefully I'll be able to return the 200GB.

Thanks, guys, sooooo much !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom