Nvidia vs. ATi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am personally in favor of Nvidia. I just bought two 7900 GT's to run in SLi and they just ran awesome. I have had both ATI and Nvidia cards, and i like the drivers and cards better from nvidia.

pointless question , could only be answered if youll provide names of one nvidia card and one ati card , some nvidia cards are better then the ati alternative and vice versa

Put simply:

ATI drivers are really, really, really bad - alot worse than I thought until yesterday, when I found out what was causing the system to randomly restart. That PC is now using drivers that some person modified.

ATI's drivers also do not do their cards justice, as a card with the same power will be beaten by a Nvidia card.

(The bad over now.)

ATI does have the technology though, with unified pipelines that can be used for shaders or vertex (coming out on R600) and the ability to do 2x AA, 2x AF and HDR in one cycle, on X1900XT/X (I believe it is that one, otherwise again R600.)

Nvidia is the opposite, with excellent drivers giving the most out of their cards. Nvidia hasn't spent millions making new technology like ATI, but are going for brute force # of pixel pipelines.

I'm just going to toss something in here;

The eVGA GeForce 7900GT Signature Edition, clocked at 600Mhz/1600MHz (up from 450MHz/1320), which can be further overclocked to 665Mhz/1850Mhz, and costs $360...is better than the 7900GTX.

The 7900GTX, as shown by the latest benchmarks, is better than the X1900XTX in all but one game. However, the 7900GTX costs a pretty penny.

7900GT Signature ($360) > 7900GTX ($500) > X1900XTX ($470).

That, coupled with the excellent drivers = Nvidia FTW.

Green Radience said:
I'm just going to toss something in here;

The eVGA GeForce 7900GT Signature Edition, clocked at 600Mhz/1600MHz (up from 450MHz/1320), which can be further overclocked to 665Mhz/1850Mhz, and costs $360...is better than the 7900GTX.

The 7900GTX, as shown by the latest benchmarks, is better than the X1900XTX in all but one game. However, the 7900GTX costs a pretty penny.

7900GT Signature ($360) > 7900GTX ($500) > X1900XTX ($470).

That, coupled with the excellent drivers = Nvidia FTW.

From what I've heard, many of the Signature Edition/KO/CO have defective memory. I don't remember where I read the article about it, but they talk about it a little at Wikipedia.org http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geforce_7#GeForce_7900_GT

Also, are you comparing them with Crossfire and SLI, because I'm positive that the X1900XTX in CrossFire is better than the 7900GTX in SLI.

This battle has been going on for years now...first nVidia willhave the upper hand then ATI pulls ahead. I remember long ago, there were actually many video chip manufacturers, (Rendition, 3DFX, etc.) now there are only 2 giants left...sure, S3 and Matrox are still in business, but not really contenders today...As long as there are 2 or more companies striving for first place in the GPU market, we are the winners. Today's hot chipset is tomorrow's intergrated on your grandmother's motherboard...well, you get the idea. I still remember when the GeForce TI-4600 was 500.00 retail :eek: Ah, the good ole days...(steps down from soapbox)

AnthraX said:
From what I've heard, many of the Signature Edition/KO/CO have defective memory. I don't remember where I read the article about it, but they talk about it a little at Wikipedia.org http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geforce_7#GeForce_7900_GT

Also, are you comparing them with Crossfire and SLI, because I'm positive that the X1900XTX in CrossFire is better than the 7900GTX in SLI.

Yea, I know about the defects in the highly-overclocked cards, but thats still a minority. On top of that, if you get a defective Sigrature series card, the customer support for it is amazing. You'll have a working one on the next business day.

I haven't looked at the SLI/XFire benchmarks lately, so I'm not even going to say anything on the subject. But the performance of Dual 7900GTXs in a $720 package, how can anyone argue :)

My greatest dislike about SLI'd 7900GTXs or Crossfired X1900XT/Xs is the amount of space they take up. Its not only that they're Dual Slot cards, but two of them in a system -- you barely have room for anything else.

I design PCs for fun in my spare time. The most powerful PC that I've designed to date has had 2 x 7900GTs. NOT 2 x 7900GTXs. I believe that the amount of space Dual 7900GTXs would take up is just ridiculous. And now that the 7900GTs can perform at 7900GTX levels, dual 7900GTs is an Excellent combination, and something that everyone should know about.

BTW - there is a simple-to-do voltmod on the 7900GT cards that raises their voltage.

So good to take a breather from the Core 2+ Duo for a moment. Your best choice by "my prefrence" is a EVGA Geforce 7900 or the EVGA Geforce 7800.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom