PC's verses laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaronray

Beta member
Is there any need for pcÂ’s or have laptops superseded them anybody with any thoughts please leave feedback as I have a discussion on wed 17th dec on this topic :D thank you

Finally these days you can get a laptop that is close to being as powerful as a desktop. Not there yet and probably never will surpass the desktop. Lets first take an example. Lets say a 2.5 ghz desktop and laptop. The specs can be the same. Equal ram, hdd the works. The desktop will be the faster machine. Just about every component in the desk top will perform faster. Lets start with the video card. The vid cards in laptop of course are not as powerful and as with every laptop component if it is not plugged in it usually is stepped down to conserve power. Not any 256 mb laptop video cards around, some laptops use shared ram and we know that sucks. Next is the HDD. Yes they have 100gb laptop hdds but your average drive runs at 4200 rpms. That is almost pitiful. All of your laptop components are so scaled that when you add the deficencies of each component it adds up to a big drop in performance. This is why you rarely if ever see benchmarks comparing the two. The worst part of the whole deal is that they are barely upgradable and usually cost twice the desktop price.Am i saying that laptops are obsolete, no way. They really are amazing for there size and functionallity but you do give up performance for convienence.

Dell

I had to get a laptop for school even though I wanted a desktop. I got a Dell inspiron 5150 and i was amazed at how well it actually did perform. I can still play games such as unreal tournament. The only thing I cant seem to get over is the lcd screen. Although it looks amazing for regular applications, the 60Hz refresh rate is terrible in games. You can be running at 60 fps and it will feel glitchy with a lot of vertical tearing. If you are looking for portability and convenience, the laptop is the only way to go. If you are an intense gamer, save yourself some money and go with a desktop and a nice crt monitor :)

I replaced My Desktop!

I replaced my desktop with a laptop a few weeks ago and man am i impress with what this baby can do. It is a top of the top of the lin laptop but i can play any game any where any time. It is a desktop replacemant wich means its big for a laptop and the battery only last about 2 hrs so I got 2 batteries so i can get about 4 hrs out of it wich is ok since every where I go i can find at least one spare outlet to conenct too. With my wireles lan i can take this baby any where in my house and even connect it to my 27in tv and play Sof all day throught the wireless connection wich is 802.11g. This is an alienware laptop by the way. If you want some more info On laptops as desktops replacements I highly suggest going to this forum.

http://talknotebooks.com/index.php?

You will find all you need toknow here!

To be honest I much prefer to sit in front of desktop PC than I do in front of a laptop. The Desktop just feels more solid and easier to use. Laptops are more fiddly.

Well actually I added an external mouse key board and monitor to mine and its just like sitting in front o of a desktop only with 2 monitors! an the new alienware laptops are pretty beefy but still more portable than a tower I can take it any where in teh hous and use my wireless net connection and its great I can even play Unreal 2k4 while relaxing otn the couch and watching tv!

I also have both!

I also have both but my wife has taken over teh desktop with The Sims (she has all the expansion packs!) and I had to get some thing that I could fool around on with out have ing to format and reinstall her sims games wich takes about 2 hours due to all 12 cds and each one has a cd key! Drives me nuts so I leave tha tone alone now an usemy laptop for everything Ima notorious tweaker and every now and then I tweak to much and something goes wrong but hey its how we learn. The laptop is great thogh its more powerful that the desktop by far.

Yhea its a great laptop.

I have an AIW radeon 8500DV 64mb in my desktop too. I love The AIW cards they play games great and I can even copy my old VHS over to DVD with it and watch tv I will never buy another video card that is not an AIW ever again.
Although the ATI 9800XT 256mb has me tempted !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom