Building a pc ;my components

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailpog

Daemon Poster
check these out tell me anything you think i should change.Helpfull comments please not just: THERE ALL RUBBISH!!! ok here they are.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Socket939 , Venice Core, 1.8GHz , 512KB Cache, Retail

LN11240 1GB (2X512MB) Corsair Value Select, DDR PC3200 (400), 184 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 2.5 £49.50 £58.16

LN12214 Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 NF4, S939, PCI-E (x16), DDR 400, SATA II, SATA RAID, uATX, On Board VGA £34.19 £40.17

LN13550 LG GSA-H10ABAL Black 16x16 & ±RW/RAM Dual Layer DVDRW Writer OEM UK £20.59 £24.19

Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 XT 256MB AGP8X Graphic Card with DVI & TV-Out Lite

LN11807 Aspire X-Qpack Black Silver uATX Aluminum Case with 420W v2.0PSU £58.17 £68.35

160 Gb Samsung SP1634N SpinPoint P80, IDE (PATA), 7200 rpm, 8MB Cache, 8.9 ms

Everything looks great, but i recommend a larger hard drive. You'll be thanking me in 5 years, when Vista comes out.

sailpog, can you tell us what you want to go with this PC? That would help us help you.

I think your choices are fine (though I really know nothing about Gigabyte motherboards).

I would suggest another gig of RAM in a 2x1 configuration, i.e. 2 one gig sticks. Corsair Value RAM is an excellent choice.

I would stay away from the x1600 Pro. There are much better performing cards (no, I'm not anti-ATI; I have two ATI cards; and I've had Nvidia) for a good price.

Have you considered a good power supply because the rule of thumb - and it is a good rule that has been tested and to be found true - is that power supplies that come with cases are garbage. The only exceptions that I've heard of is Antec.

Otherwise it looks like you've done good homework. Nice job.

That motherboard that you chose is for AMD skt939 CPUs, and you chose an Intel skt775 CPU;)

LN13202 256Mb Sapphire ATI X1600PRO DDR2 VGA TVO DVI PCI-E Retail £59.63 £70.07

LN11807 Aspire X-Qpack Black Silver uATX Aluminum Case with 420W v2.0PSU £58.17 £68.35

I know I reccomended them to you in a different thread, but I have changed my mind over night. The Qpack is really too small, the PSU isn't great tbh. and that graphics card has been annoying me, well ATI's drivers have been, as they can not make a decent build, so other people have to modify them.

You will need to put DDRII ram in the PC as well.

And you are not the idiot, people who miss these mistakes are. :p You are still learning so have an excuse. :D (said lightly of course.)

Yeah, I'm one of those idiots! :D But seriously, sailpog, if you are going to have this as a top end gaming rig I'd really consider the following. Others will have their opinions, this is mine:

1. Forget the AGP video cards and motherboards. The tech is being phased out. PCI express is the way to go.

2. Two gigs of RAM -- now becoming the standard recommendation.

3. If you can afford it an AMD 3200+

4. Motherboards: EPoX 9NPA+Ultra (great board; socket 939).

5. Solid power supply -- see my previous post.

Everything but your cpu choice and ram choice is crap.
Avoid gigabyte, Get a real psu, if you plan to go gaming you will need something faster then a 9600XT Not to mention that a 9600 is agp and wont work in that motherboard. Samsung harddrives are the least relieable drives out there.

Motherboard brands you should be looking at
Asus/Epox/DFI

PSU brands you should be looking at Antec/Enermax/OCZ/Fortron Source

Video cards to look at Ati X1600/Nvidia 7600/Nvidia 6600
MAKE SURE ITS PCI EXPRESS IF YOUR BOARD HAS PCI EXPRESS AGP WILL NOT WORK IN A PCI EXPRESS SLOT.

Harddrive brands to look at Western Digital/Seagate

Follow these guide lines if you want a relieable and fast system, If you want a slow and unrelieable system I would recomend what you picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom