URGENT!!!hard drive connection help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulinux

Solid State Member
i hav a samsung 40gb hdd.... i 've installed win xp in that... now how do i connect my segate hdd to it( tht is having dual hdd)?????
if i keep my samsung hdd as master and segate hdd as slave will thr b any problem?????

If your hard drive is EIDE you need to set the jumpers on the drive. Samsung as master and your seagate as slave.

If you use sata, you don't need to set jumpers.

There shouldn't be any problems having 2 drives.

Oh yeah, if your using EIDE, make sure you connect your harddrive with the 80 wire ide cable instead of the 40 wire one.

The 80 wire one is black, grey, blue.
This is so that you get maximum transfer speed.

hi brinks..
thank u for the quick reply... im new to h/w installation..
wats sata?? how do i find it???
and in my IDE's it written FC-40P....

Serial ATA, is another connection type. (sata is newer and better than the EIDE type) The cable's width is about 1cm. On your hard drive you can either look at the connection slots on the back, or try reading the lable on the hard drive.

I'm not sure about the writing on the ide cable, but it sounds like the 40 wire one. The 40 wire one has Black,black,black connection slots.(the plastic part to plug to the hard drive.) while the 80 is black, grey, blue.

do i need to make any changes in my BIOS... coz, the segate hdd has given some instructions.... if, so how do i do it...and what are the changes should i need to make in the BIOS..

samsung as master and segate as slave...

No, if you connected it properly and set jumpers right, it should just auto-detect it and start up windows assuming that you have the operation system installed.

hey.. u juz told in ur first reply tht.. no need of jumpers...
if so, should i use jumpers in my master hdd or slave hdd or both???

No need for jumpers only if you have sata hard drives.
The EIDE drives need jumpers. Both if there EIDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom