Is my HDD broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravesent

Solid State Member
Hello, I have a Segate baracuda 7200rpm sata 80gb hdd, I was defragmenting all 3 partitions simultaniously when I (in my infinite stupidity) touched a component on the hard drives belly to see if it got too hot, the hard drive made a soft *CLANK* the system stopped responding and I had to reset the computer, after the reset the PC locked in the hdd detecting phaze, I turned it off completly I turned it back on and it works, I found no bad sectors (thou I'm not sure about the system partition because I didn't get to see the report) and I want to know if there is any risk that my HDD is in any way broken and how can I check, it appears to work normally with the exception that it seams a little slower than before.. or it's just my paranoia.

I think its just your paranoia.

you probably had sent a static charge thru it and shorted the whole thing out or somthing...

Dont take my word for this though, thats just what I think.

I'm pretty sure I shorted the whole think because I touched some contacts and my finger probably had a little sweat on it, sweat contains salts and salts make water very conductive.. I'm wondering what effect that might have had on the hard drive, I'm thinking that if one component were to be busted it wouldn't really work but who knowes, it's a complex device..

Just keep a close ear for constant clicking. Find a utility that can check s.m.ar.t status on your hd. That way you can see if your getting read/write errors or not. I think everything will be fine.

Re:

Hello,

...Your motherboard is probably capable of SMART anyways, so if there was a problem with the drive it would tell you upon POST.

I've made some diagnostics I've learned about and everything appears to be just fine, no clicking either, segate once again demonstrates the durability of their drives :)

I also believe that on Seagates website, there is a HDD program that will check the integrity of the HDD. Like Maxtor's Power Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom