Found New Hardware that's Not There

Status
Not open for further replies.

PennKen2009

Solid State Member
ok, i just got done doing windows update. I got service pack 3, and a few other things. And when i restarted my computer, I got the message new hardware found and it said it found a plug and play monitor. So anyways yeah im using my laptop and there's no other monitor. Before I updated it didnt do this at all and i restarted my comp like 3 times today doin updates before this. I know one of the updates was from Dell and it was for the monitor I have.
The updates I did this last time were:
1)Dell Inc. - Video - Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
2)Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0: x86 (KB829019)
3)Update for Windows XP (KB896344)
4)Office XP Service Pack 3
5)Conexant Systems, Inc. - Modems - Conexant D110 MDC V.92 Modem

So yeah i would guess the first one would be the one that affected my comp wrong somehow maybe. I have virus scan and all up to date and run it daily, ran it today a couple of hours ago after this happened and it found no viruses. Thanks in advance for your help.

First of all, Windows XP doesn't have PS3. Are you sure its from Windows Update?

And it found a HD that's not in your computer?

Well, what size is both HD's? The OS may have partitioned the one hard drive into two.

just gotta correct u talldude :D PS3 = Playstation 3... now when you mean PS3 you obviously mean SP3.. so any1 who thinks he wrote windows XP dosnt have playstation3 dont get confused lol he just did little spelling mistake.. SP3 = Service Pack 3.. i am a real noob!

yeah i meant service pack 3, its for office xp (update no. 4 in the list i provided). I got it directly from windows update from the tools menu on internet explorer. I dont know where you got the idea but i only have the internal hd that comes with the pc, it's 80 gigs. I never added any new hardware or anything so i have no idea why its finding new hardware.

oh and it iddnt find a new hd, it found a new plug and play monitor.

Re:

Hello,

Probably because the driver for your monitor is not installed. Don't confuse this with the graphics card drivers, however. Don't know why it would appear now though.

You don't have to install a driver for you monitor in order for it to work, because windows is capable of using the generic plug and play monitor driver. The display driver simply has information such as max. supported refresh rate, resolution and colour depth, so that the graphics card knows what supported. But more often than not, the generic monitor driver is capable of detecting these correctly.

yeah i dont understand why it appeared now, i mean i recently got done reformatting but that was like 2 months ago, and i had all my external stuff unplugged and all except my power cord like you're supposed to, then i installed all my hardware invidually. The monitor is obviously connected to the laptop so it has to be installed i mean its working fine and all. I don know i mean how couldnt it be installed? Oh and i also looked at my device manager under monitors and for some reason there's 3 monitors listed:

1)Plug and Play Monitor
2)Plug and Play Monitor
3)Unknown Device

Yeah i dont understand this at all. I have no external hardware that views stuff like a monitor. I have my printer but that has nothing to do with it. When I look at the info for the first two, they both are from Microsoft, so maybe like it's just the monitor's original driver and an updated driver or something. The unknown device one has no info on it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom