Not sure if you knew but AM2...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to comment so bad, but I cant.......haha I just love reading these threads.

[color=CC0000]this just implies to us that you are not going to be civil in any future conroe threads[/color]

considering why you've been banned from posting on the subject, your comment wouldn't mean much even if you could comment.

ehh.. this discussion is retarded right here.. yes i agree conroe is alot better, even when both are at stock speed... sure conroe is not released yet, but there's a possibility it may even get better when it actually comes it.. right now, i'm on conroe's side, but am2 is out now so you can't compare the two.. not yet.. just wait it out

Anybody who would take AM2 over conroe (at this point and time), is stupid or ignorant. End of thread. But you know what I would find really funny, is if conroe comes out, and it totally owns AM2, and everybody runs out and buys shiny-new conroe based gear, and then AMD releases a CPU for socket AM2 that totally kills conroe, after everybody has already bought a conroe based PC. I doubt it will happen, but I would really get a good laugh out of that.

seeing as how I wont have money to upgrade for a couple years or so, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that by the end of 2007, beginning of 2008, AMD will have something great out again :D

Well I haven't had a serious upgrade since socket 754 was released.... So for me it is time, and i am TIRED of sitting on a crappy pre built computer. But yea it would be funny to see AMD release a chip for AM2 that completly killed anything intel has at the time in a year or so after all the AMD fans buy there new conroe processors.....

Anybody who would take AM2 over conroe (at this point and time), is stupid or ignorant. End of thread. But you know what I would find really funny, is if conroe comes out, and it totally owns AM2, and everybody runs out and buys shiny-new conroe based gear, and then AMD releases a CPU for socket AM2 that totally kills conroe, after everybody has already bought a conroe based PC. I doubt it will happen, but I would really get a good laugh out of that.
Usualy what happens, same as ATI and Nvidia. And correct me if im wrong but i thought that Conroe was stock 2.3ghz. Somebody was saying that here on the forums.

Intel Core 2 Duo processors for desktops will apparently be launched on the 23rd of July, 2006, but the number of models will be relatively limited, just as expected. Initially, Intel will offer four Core 2 Duo processors and one Core 2 Extreme chip, five new chips in total, HKEPC web-site reports. The family of desktop “Conroe” chips with 1066MHz processor system bus will consist of Core 2 models E6700, E6600, E6400 and E6300 that will operate 2.67GHz, 2.40GHz, 2.13GHz and 1.86GHz, respectively. The E6700 and E6600 models will sport 4MB unified L2 cache, whereas the E6400 and E6300 will have 2MB unified level-two cache. Pricing of the parts is claimed to be even more aggressive, than expected previously: $530, $316, $224 and $183 for the E6700, E6600, E6400 and E6300, respectively.

The most advanced member of the Core 2 family will be Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800, which will operate at 2.93GHz, use 1066MHz processor system bus and equipped with 4MB level-two cache. It will cost $999 in 1000-unit quantities and will provide end-users increased performance and some other improvements over typical Core 2 Duo products.

^

No matter for me, I could only get one in around 25'th in August [my birthday.. amusingly lol] when the Vista comes out...
So I won't need to rush myself and pre-order a conroe from that 5 chips presale @ july 23'rd [if its true and thats all the chips that will be released], and by 25'th in august there'll surley be a lot of conroes out there...

Anyway its because my brother is going to the states till end of august and coming back to be in my birthday so he'll get me the conroe there + some other parts [cheaper prices than europe ^^;]

AM2 is a socket, not a core

current socket AM2 CPU's do not look so good. but AMD still has to iron out some bugs.
for example, their memory controller does not quite work properly with DDR2 speeds. DDR2 uses speeds of 533, 666 etc, while the memory controller, basically an adaption of the DDR memory controller, works best with more round numbers, like DDR400 or DDR500

from what Intel is letting us see, or at least what they want us to see, is that conroe looks like a good chip. whether it will be better or worse on release is anyone's guess
either way, it does look like conroe is a winner.

personally I still prefer AMD. I know lots of people are going to laugh, and I know conroe is most likely to end up being the winner.
my grief is not with the CPU's themselves, but what Intel does. they basically try to shut off anybody else from the market, mainly AMD.

for example, offering discounts to companies like Dell, to not use AMD processors.

or the in your face advertisments on "Pentium 4" (Pentium 3's were actually beating the Pentium 4's at first) so basically the only thing people know about computers is "Pentium 4" now. yes, I know that is not technically unfair, but it is still something I find annoying

well, I'm not going to rant anymore.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom