Reintallation CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jk88

Baseband Member
Reinstallation CD

I just bought a laptop from dell and I was wondering if I should pay the extra $10 and get the windows reinstallation CD? Also will reformatting the HD clear all the junk (useless software) that comes with the laptop? Could someone explain to me how this reformatting works?

no way a windows cd will cost you only 10$ , your talking on the restore cd , the restore cd contains a compressed disk image with a program that formats the main partition and restores it , basicly that disk image contains windows/softwares/drivers,it restores it to "as shipped" condition just like you got it , with all that "useless software" :amazed:

So even if I had the restore CD I wouldnt be able to have a clean HD without the annoying softwares? If thats true, then I shouldnt waste the $10 on the restore CD?

Re:

Hello,

As jk88 said it's most likely going to be an OEM cd with just an image of the PC at factory state.

Plus, I would imagine you're able to create a set of recovery CD's yourself.

Usually, if the manufacturer doesn't supply you with recovery CDs and your system has a pre-installed OEM operating system, the manufacturer provides you with an application capable of creating a set of recovery CDs (or DVDs). But this is only common if your system has some kind of recovery partition on the hard drive.

Do you have a recovery partition, or a way of burning your own recovery discs?

If not (then shame on dell for making it's consumers cough up more money), and I'd buy a recovery CD...might be useful in the future

Sorry I'm not really skilled with computers and I am sort of confused. So basically the CD that dell offers for $10 is the same as burning your own recovery CD's from an application?

Also I am not sure if my laptop has a recovery parition. How can I tell if my laptop has the capability to burn recovery CD's or not? Is there any way to tell?

Usually, the company will provide an Image of Windows XP CD on the hard drive.

Burn the ISO using Nero, which should come pre-installed, or a ISO burner, and burn the files to a cheap $0.50 CDR

Do you know where the image of windows xp is on the computer to burn? Is there a set place where it is usually located or do I have to search for it?

talldude123 said:
Usually, the company will provide an Image of Windows XP CD on the hard drive.
incorrect , no company will ever provide that , some will provide a restore partition kinda like the restore cd but not in all cases

jk88 said:
Also I am not sure if my laptop has a recovery parition
goto start-->settings-->control panel-->administrative tools-->computer mangement-->disk managment , and take a screenshot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom