Bios Flash?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsiboy700

Fully Optimized
Ok I just got a Msi Motherboard (PM8M-V) and it is pretty sweet. I also have a p4 2.8ghz northwood and 1gb of kingston valueram to go with it. People told me I could probably hit like 3.4ghz with this. I finally decided to look around bios for oc capability and there isnt much. Just a bunch of set numbers but I cant changed voltage and fsb. I looked around online and it seems that lower bios versions have this capability and my most recent one doesnt because they dont offer it anymore. So the question is can I downgrade my bios from 3.4 to 2.3 to possibly oc properly? Can anyone verify this?

Re:

Hello,

You can downgrade your BIOS. But make sure that you have the correct version and follow instructions properly.

It's also advised that you have a backup of your current BIOS on floppy disk which you can use to re-write the BIOS in case the procedure fails.

BIOS upgrades can be risky. Many people have ended up with worthless motherboards because of a badly flashed BIOS...Though it tends to be due to incorrect versions, problems can occur even with correct versions.

Happened to me once. I tried to flash the BIOS CMOS with a new, compatible version. Died on me. Luckily my PC was still on Compaq support and they replaced the motherboard for free.

Also, new BIOS versions contain vital improvements and bug fixes. So downgrading for one feature may not be benifiting overall.

yea, flashing the bios can be risky, you could try OC using a program in the OS instead, all tho its not as effective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom