Screen keeps shutting down - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JChamp

Baseband Member
Hello all,

I just obtained a Compaq Armada PII400 laptop computer and I keep experiencing this unusual phenomenon of the screen simply blanking and shutting off. The computer seems to continue running normally (i.e. when I'm watching a DVD, I can still hear it playing).

I've tried adjusting all the display and power settings, so I'm pretty sure that the problem lies elsewhere.

------------------

A few curious points:

Initially, this "blanking" of the screen was occuring in fifteen minute intervals, now it's happening every 3 minutes (this would lead one to think it is the settings).

On occasion, this computer has a tendency to "time out", in which case I have to unplug its C-mos battery for about one minute, plug it in again, and then restart the computer. This seems unrelated to the screen problem, however.

My keypad retains it functionality (i.e. I can hear beeps when I press the keys during a "blank screen period"), yet neither striking the keys or the touchpad has any affect on the display.

The laptop appears to be continuing normal operations. I can hear the fan and the hard-drive working.

I can hit either the "suspend" or power button on the laptop, to shut the unit down. Restarting with the suspend button brings the computer back to its previous state (for instance, where the DVD left off).

If I am continuously using the laptop (i.e. creating a document) it stays on.

Well, I guess that's it. Any help would be most appreciated, since this has rendered my computer all but unusable.

Regards,
John

i realize u said u already checked the settings but i would doublecheck again and make sure u didnt miss one cuz u said it doesnt do it when ur typing etc. it would sound like its shutting off the screen to conserve power during an idle period such as watching a dvd when no keys or mouse actions are being done. also ive had settings that were set but didnt do what they were set for so i had to change it then change it back so i could hit the apply button and that fixed mine, dont remember what setting it was tho, i have xp home

Re:

Thanks for the input, Holocron.

I installed a new driver that seemed to do the trick, until I put in a black and white DVD. Why would black and white trip up the video more so that a new movie?

John

Looks like my screen is back to its old tricks. Except now I can strike a key to bring back the display instead of having to restart.

Andbody else have any other suggestions? Should there be a certain resolution that I should be using with my ATI Rage Pro given my processor speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom