Harddrive size now smaller after format and fresh install...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyledogg

Baseband Member
This one has me completely baffled :S

I've been using computers now for near 10 years, and not once have i ever came across this problem.

My computer crashed after installing a new program. I spent hours upon hours trying to get back into my computer, but i just couldnt get back in, something about invaild partion or something like that :S

Anyway, i said **** it, fresh install, so i formatted my 200 gigabyte harddrive which took nearly 2 hours, after waiting, i installed windows, got it up and running. I decided i would check my harddrive to see how much space i was using, this is when i noticed that the total capacity of my harddrive was down to 128 gbs. That 78 gbs missing from my harddrive :S

Does anyone know whats up with this???

do u have a partition utility such as partition magic? u could prob use the one from on the windows install disk also and try to look to see if there are any extra partitions or anything.

u could also try to reformat again (im assuming u did this recently and dont have too much stuff installed) and see what happens.

also how did it take 2 hrs? when i formatted my 2HDDs (120+60) it took about 30 seconds with partition magic.

maby when you reformatted and while u were creating a partition using the XP partioner while in blue screen of XP setup (assuming ur OS is XP) did you accidently create a 127gb partition? u should use partition magic and have a look for the free space wherever it is hiding or maby i leeched it off you

well as suggested i reformated, and reinstalled the operating system, and the harddricw size is back up to the original size.

I could of done this from the beginning, but i didnt fancy doing it again. Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom