• Maximum PC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

xr280xr

Baseband Member
Hi,

I use remote desktop a lot between my laptop and desktop. I have one problem, my laptop always has the num lock turned off and I want to keep it on on my desktop. I've got a script that will turn it on when I log on, but I don't always log off when I exit remote desktop because I like to leave projects open sometimes. Is there a way that I can run the script everytime I unlock the computer? Thanks.

Two things:

What's with the stupid poll? It's got nothing to do with the thread.

Do you want NUM LOCK to turn on when you log in? There's a setting in the BIOS to do that.

Re:

Hello,

The setting for the default state for numlock can be changed in the Windows registry:

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/196/

User Key: [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard]
Value Name: InitialKeyboardIndicators
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
Value Data: 0 = NUMLOCK is turned off after logon, 2 = NUMLOCK is turned on after logon

Windows will either enable or disable numlock when loading, based on the settings above.

The Windows registry is accessible by typing regedit in Start > Run and pressing enter.

Change the setting in your BIOS to enable numlock before logging in. F2 or Del keys to enter BIOS depending on your computer's manufacturer.

Change registry with regedit to enable numlock after logging in. (see above)

Thanks, but the question is can I run a script when unlocking the computer. This is different from logon because it is never logged out. The laptop turns the num lock off via remote desktop and then does the equivelent of fast user switching when I close it. Then when I return to the local machine all I do is unlock it, not log on. So BIOS and registry settings for defaults don't make a difference.

Get into the habit of hitting one more button when un-locking your computer.

Problem solved!

(I'm not an arse... but I'm questioning your writing of a script to do an INCREDIBLY simple task. One button press! Is saving yourself one button press REALLY worth writing a script for? If you just get into a habit of pushing "Num-lock" back on during log-on, you won't even notice doing it anymore, just like I don't notice pressing "caps lock" on and off for my unlock password.)

You are an "arse". It's called curiosity. Maybe someday I'd like to be able to perform other tasks when it unlocks. If you don't have any valuable input, keep it to yourself and keep out of forums.

xr280xr said:
You are an "arse". It's called curiosity. Maybe someday I'd like to be able to perform other tasks when it unlocks. If you don't have any valuable input, keep it to yourself and keep out of forums.
I thought it was very valuable input. I saw this as a scientist creating a teleportation machine to get himself to the corner store, so he wouldn't have to walk a block every day.

If you want to use it as practice, that's a perfectly legit reason - but when you tell people you're trying to save one button press, that's just telling them that you put effort into being lazy. So no, I'm not an arse, because your reason given for doing this scripting would CERTAINTLY warrent my response.

xr280xr said:
Hi,

I use remote desktop a lot between my laptop and desktop. I have one problem, my laptop always has the num lock turned off and I want to keep it on on my desktop. I've got a script that will turn it on when I log on, but I don't always log off when I exit remote desktop because I like to leave projects open sometimes. Is there a way that I can run the script everytime I unlock the computer? Thanks.

You can usually set whether NUMLOCK is on or not at boot, from the BIOS...and sometimes also from the keyboard config within the OS. No scripts needed.

The BIOS is set to enable numlock and so is the OS when booting so that's not an issue. It turns out it has nothing to do with remote desktop either. I leave my computer for a few hours, come back and num lock is off for some reason. The question that the thread is supposed to address, hence the title, is "Can you run a script when unlocking an XP machine". I'll take the responses as a no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom