Intel Conroe VS. AMD: Biased Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD's Hypertransport Bus has its own problems with Quad-Core CPUs. And without a architectural change, Intel's Quad-Cores (which are coming out 6-9 months sooner than AMD's Quad-Cores) will be the same as how Conroe is whopping Athlon 64s right now.

AMD has a super-clocked FX processor in the works. Maybe 3.2 or 3.4Ghz. Thats supposed to be it's "answer" to the Conroe. Good Luck getting the 300 or so that get made, haha.

John I feel better now. Just kidding. I don't know how heck you have managed to keep that system for so long! I know you'll be jumping at Conroe for sure.
If I had the same system as you, theshonen, I wouldn't get any processor for a long time (I don't play games), but given that my PC has began to crash and fail I have no choice but to upgrade very soon. Given the prices of the new Conroes and the tests performed I feel that it would be the right choice to buy a faster Conore for half the price of AMD. About two days ago I was almost going to buy AMD 4400+, but these great forums saved my behind.

Quad-Cores? You mean a CPU with 4 cores is on the horizon? This keeps getting better and better.

Excelsius said:
Quad-Cores? You mean a CPU with 4 cores is on the horizon? This keeps getting better and better.

Indeed. And without architetural changes, just slapping on some cores won't help. Intel's offering (Kentsfield) will still be better than AMD's offering (Deerhound), especially as Kentsfield beats Deerhound to the scene by atleast 6 months...

Look for them in the 2007 aisle.

Excelsius said:
John I feel better now. Just kidding. I don't know how heck you have managed to keep that system for so long! I know you'll be jumping at Conroe for sure.
If I had the same system as you, theshonen, I wouldn't get any processor for a long time (I don't play games), but given that my PC has began to crash and fail I have no choice but to upgrade very soon. Given the prices of the new Conroes and the tests performed I feel that it would be the right choice to buy a faster Conore for half the price of AMD. About two days ago I was almost going to buy AMD 4400+, but these great forums saved my behind.

yeah, i dont game much myself either. i just feel bad building computers that are better than mine... i want to get a new system in 07 though 'cause the vista and directx 10 are coming ><!

**** it! So now the ideal would be to wait for 2007. These forums have too much info, more than is good for my health. After I build my system in July I better get out of here otherwise I'll for sure be upgrading every few months.
I have a physics book that is about 4 years old. It says that computers double in speed every 18 months, but given this recent info I wonder if that ratio has gone up. If so, then there is also acceleration involved. If this continues, eventually we'll perhaps reach a limit for personal necessity and PC's will drop in prices until they become close to free. The next major system is going to be the quantum computer (involves quatum physics) and there have been some interesting developments.

Haha, well it's very likely that you'll be able to buy a Quad-Core and just plop it into the same socket, so there's some consolation. You could also sell your new old processor and get a budget boost from that. Its not all hopeless :)

upgrade > sell > upgrade > sell
seems pretty popular amoung demanding gamers nowadays
no need to follow the trend if u dont really need the horsepower tho

The thing is that I have no I idea how much will I need the power because I have never used my programs on a high end PC. For example, some 3D designs in SolidWorks are more complicated than any game you might have (every nut and bolt is measured exactly and if you're building/viewing let's say a nuclear reactor model that adds up). Or even a program like Maple - if you are inputting a very complex formula it can take a very long time to get an answer. That's why I don't know how much power is going to be enough and I don't know whether anyone in this forums has experience with those programs.
Notice how quickly AMD prices are falling: more than $100 in a matter of days. They have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom