DVD Drives no longer working!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodaddy02

Beta member
Okay guys, hereÂ’s the problem IÂ’m having. My DVD burner worked fine until recently. Now all of a sudden it isnÂ’t recognizing any type of disk, be it blank, DVD movies, music cdÂ’s, or even game cdÂ’s. What it is doing is making whatever program I use to access the drive (even windows explorer) freeze up and the drive makes a funny sound when it tries to read the disk. I doubt that itÂ’s the disks because like I said it does that for all types. I have 2 drives, one a a dvd/cd burner and the other a cd burner, both fairly new with the latest firmware/drivers installed. Also, IÂ’ve noticed that now windows is referring to both drives as CD drives, not DVD/RW like it should. The problem is happening on both and IÂ’ve tried reconnecting them, the cables are not lose, and I switched around the master/slave drives with no avail. Device Manager also says that everything is fine with them. -_-

I think itÂ’s possibly a spyware problem but norton, system mechanic, ad aware, and spybot search and destroy all say that my systems clean. IÂ’ve tried everything I can think of except for the final solution (but I really would not rather do that). Any suggestions? IÂ’ve poured through tons of forums, and it seems like quite a few people have this problem, but no one ever says how it was resolved, or even if it was.

Thanks a ton!!!!

Are you sure the drive is recognized by the PC?

Open up the case, and check to see if the IDE cable is plugged into the drive.

Have you gotten any cracked games with Starforce protection on them.The reasion i ask is i've had to DVD burners 1 external 3 months old and 1 internal 1 month old both go out on me at the same time.And that was all I could trace it to was starforce. Might be wrong on that but it was tooooo wierd.The internal DVD burner would burn CDs but not DVDs. I was able to return the External but never got the internal to work again weven with a firmware upgrade.

Nope, no cracked games. I do happen to copy DVD's sometimes, though, and a friend told me that sometimes when you do that you can also copy programs to your computer which can mess up your drives, but like I said none of my programs are telling me that there is a probelm.

ive had similer problems with normal CD-RW drives and well the only sulution i tried is re-formatted my computer also unplugged all cables from the burner and then it worked after i re-formatted so it could be some spyware issue's but keep looking mate good luck

Reformatting simply isn't an option. If this happens once it will happen again and again, and I would rather not play that game for years to come. :(

I have experienced that issue many times before. I have found that in most cases the drive itself is on it's way out.
I have seen two LG drive experience the same symptoms and remain the same in several different machines when figuring out the problem.

Best bet for you would be to save time figuring out what the issue could be and just replace it. Even after Clean Installs of Windows the drive will often still experinec the issue.

So basically, replace the drive. The easiest (and in some cases, the cheapest) solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom