geforce 5600XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenNcheese

In Runtime
my mate gave me his 5600XT cos hes upgrading. its 8x AGP and my mobo only has 4x AGP. we put it in anyway everything's fine. when installing the newest nvidia drivers it just goes to a black screen after the windows welcome screen. so we install the drivers that ship with his card and its fine. however when we go to play any game it freezes after a couple of seconds and locks up.

any suggestions....(get a new graphics card not an option)

I used a 5600XT not so long back when I had to RMA my new card. Everything worked for me but I have got a 8x AGP mobo. I was able to play call of cthulu, hitman contracts and HL2. I did think though if you plugged an 8x into a 4x AGP slot the card only ran at 4x speeds. So in theory it should work but I could of heard wrong.

No it doesn't matter I used my 9600xt in a AGP 4X board and I currently have a 6600gt in my brothers computer and the agp setting is 4 times and everything works great it just runs at 4X not 8X.

those games would include UT2k4, CS:S, AA and Hitman Contracts.

a really old game Axis and Allies did work, so we were thinking that it might be an issue with games that use DirectX 9.0 and higher.

The GFX isn't good enough for those games. The requirements for the games are too high.

What is the rest of your system like?

talldude123 said:
The GFX isn't good enough for those games. The requirements for the games are too high.

What is the rest of your system like?

so your saying a 5600XT wont play UT2004 well my Nvidia GeForce FX5200 128MB can play UT2004 at all high settings @ 1024x768 and in most off all maps i get over 60FPS im sure a 5600XT can play UT2004 but i know my card struggles with Hitman contracts.. but the FX5200 can play half life 2 @ 800x600 with medium settings @ 30 or 40FPS or lower even though my pc spec is a Intel Celeron D Processor 2.53GHz with 768MB DDR Ram PC2700 and plays UT2K4 with no lag.. i wouldnt bother buying a new card if i were you... but if i were you i would uninstall the Drivers you got now and go with lower drivers as nitestick said earlier on... go to this http://www.filehippo.com/download_nvidia_forceware/

and in the right hand pane click the link on one of the Forcewares anything lower than 81.84

NVIDIA Forceware 78.05
NVIDIA Forceware 78.03
NVIDIA Forceware 78.01 WHQL
NVIDIA Forceware 77.77 WHQL
NVIDIA Forceware 77.76
NVIDIA Forceware 77.72 WHQL
NVIDIA Forceware 71.89 WHQL

try one of them ... Good luck

yeah tried that but still no dice. thanx tho. also tried re installing the game after putting the new card in but that didnt work either.

yeah i thought also that in theory it should work, but meh, i'll live with my geforce 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom